The Philadelphia Zoo: Where the wild things are.

Now that spring has officially sprung, you may be seeking activities that allow you to enjoy the mild weather. If a between class nap in the grass by the Bell Tower is not enough for

Now that spring has officially sprung, you may be seeking activities that allow you to enjoy the mild weather.

If a between class nap in the grass by the Bell Tower is not enough for you, try tapping into your wild side at America’s first zoo.

If you haven’t visited The Philadelphia Zoo since that infamous grade school field trip, then its time you take a second look, and this time you don’t have to hold hands with the smelly kid who eats his boogies.

The zoo has a bunch of upcoming events that give you plenty of reasons to check it out, and with over 1,600 animals housed there, you are sure to learn something new.

According to the zoo’s public relations department, the zoo is launching a new summer attraction called Soaring Safari.

This new exhibit will showcase birds of prey – like eagles and vultures – and allow you to get up close and personal with various species of exotic birds. It will run from April through September.

Springtime brings out the bunnies in the Children’s Zoo. The Bunny Village will be hopping through April.

This exhibit features rescued rabbits that have been provided by the House Rabbit Society.

In honor of Earth Day, the zoo is pulling out all the stops.

April 24th through the 27th is their annual Conservation Festival that will take place from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. on weekdays and 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.on weekends.

This festival will help to raise funds for the many conservation efforts that the zoo is involved with around the world.

May 1 will mark the grand opening of the zoo’s latest adventure, Africa Safari Quest, that will transport you to the sights and sounds of Africa.

This exhibit is sure to wow all your senses.

It includes camelback tours, authentic drummers and dance groups, storytelling and a recreated African marketplace.

And don’t forget to check out the new PECO Primate Reserve.

This 2.5 acre facility cost millions of dollars to build and has created a new habitat for 35 primates of 10 different species.

From the Western Lowland Gorilla to the Blue-Eyed Lemur, visitors can gain insight into the lives of these fascinating animals.

One attraction that has added a new level of excitement to the zoo’s appeal is the Channel 6 Zooballoon. The airship is 124 ft. tall and 72 ft. wide and travels up to 400 feet in the air.

Kids of all ages can take a 15-minute ride and see all the sight of the zoo and the city from the air.

On a clear day you can even see the New York skyline. Tickets are only $14.95 and can be purchased in advance.

It’s the perfect time of year for a day at the zoo. Spring is here. The weather is great, love is in the air and the population of the Bunny Village is getting bigger by the minute.

So why sit home and watch the Discovery Channel, when you can have a front row seat right here in Philadelphia.

Milli Protheroe can be reached at bobhope@temple.edu.