The quest for peace

With mayhem, crime and corruption plaguing our society, it seems only fitting that there be an International Day of Peace. According to the founders of worldpeace.org you can practice inner peace by:  – Lighting a

With mayhem, crime and corruption plaguing our society, it seems only fitting that there be an International Day of Peace.

According to the founders of worldpeace.org you can practice inner peace by:
 – Lighting a candle
 – Singing a peace song
 – Ringing a bell
 – Having a group meditation
 – Being kind to someone.

On an outward community level you could:
 – Organize a peace walk
 – Visit a hospital or nursing home
 – Volunteer at a recycling center
 – Plant a peace pole.

In 1981 the General Assembly of the United Nations declared the third Tuesday of every September as the International Day of Peace. According to the General Assembly, “This day shall be dedicated and observed as the International Day of Peace and shall be devoted to commemorating and strengthening the ideas of peace both within and among all nations and people.”

It is tradition to have a moment of silence around the world at noon on the third Thursday of September, which is Sept. 18 this year. This minute of silence is traditionally observed to give positive evidence of a commitment to peace.

The World Peace Festival is an annual event that brings thousands of people together for a global celebration of peace. Throughout the country, elementary schools and communities gather to celebrate this day of peace.

When asked how she felt about the day of International Peace, sophomore Claudine Mikanda said, “It’s a great day for different types of people to come together and learn about teach other and learn how to increase the peace.”

World Peace Prayer Society Chairperson, Masami Saionji said, “We are all citizens of the earth – equally responsible for the care of our planet. If each and every one of us awakens to universal love, it is then that we will see the true peace and harmony on earth.”

For more information on The International Day of Peace you can check out .