‘The Real World’ recap

It’s the second episode, and every last Real World character mold has been filled. There’s the frat boy (M.J.), the party girl (Sarah), the quiet bookworm (Shavonda), the romantic (Landon), the gay guy (Willie) and

It’s the second episode, and every last Real World character mold has been filled. There’s the frat boy (M.J.), the party girl (Sarah), the quiet bookworm (Shavonda), the romantic (Landon), the gay guy (Willie) and the token black guy (Karamo, who also happens to be gay). Then there’s Melanie, the third female in the house, who had very little screen time in this episode. If it’s not Sarah who tears this house apart, then Melanie’s a prime candidate.

Character traits aside, things are getting interesting in the house on 3rd and Arch Streets. Sexual tension is growing between Sarah and M.J., while Shavonda harbors a secret crush on Landon. These relationships took center stage, leaving the other members of the Real World household to fight for what little screen time there was left in the episode. It’s a vicious game, especially with M.J. and Sarah. Sexually-confident Sarah pines after M.J., but she finds out too late that there’s not enough room for her in M.J.’s life. His ego alone takes up most of his time and energy.

Then, there’s Landon, the curly-haired romantic with his sights set on the affections of one lady – Shavonda. But if he thinks she can be won so easily, he’s got another thing coming. Shavonda is involved with Sean, her boyfriend back home, and while she has somewhat of a crush on Landon, she doesn’t approve of his tendency to get drunk. At the end of the episode, following a failed attempt to get Shavonda’s attention, Landon receives the smartest piece of advice in Real World history from Willie: “Try talking to a girl while you’re sober.”

Sarah reaches her boiling point at the Glam club in Old City, when she spots M.J. flirting with a busty blonde – M.J.’s personal favorite when it comes to the opposite sex. A few fiery words and some screaming, Sarah storms out, setting the stage for more sexual tension and heated arguments in another highly addictive episode on MTV’s The Real World.

Marta Rusek can be reached at mruske@temple.edu.