The return of America’s favorite family

While most television shows have been invading our dorm rooms for the past several weeks, one favorite has yet to make an appearance: “The Simpsons.” The show returns to the fall lineup Tuesday, Nov. 7

While most television shows have been invading our dorm rooms for the past several weeks, one favorite has yet to make an appearance: “The Simpsons.”

The show returns to the fall lineup Tuesday, Nov. 7 with all new episodes. That means Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie and all their friends are back for a 12th season.

“The Simpsons,” which premiered back in January of 1989, centers around an animated blue-collar family in the fictional town of Springfield. Homer is the patriarch of the family who spends his time between his job at the local nuclear power plant and the living room coach. His wife, Marge, with her signature blue beehive haircut, runs the household and cares for the family. Bart, the eldest son at 10 years of age, is the troublemaker of the group. Lisa is the cultured, intelligent one, and baby Maggie can suck a mean pacifier.

As one of America’s favorite families, the Simpsons always seem to be getting into trouble.

This season will be no different.

Creator and executive producer Matt Groening has plenty in store for the new episodes. This season, you will be able to see mock historical and literary legends with Bart portraying Hamlet, Lisa as Joan of Arc, and Homer in a homage to Homer’s “Odyssey.” Another future adventure for Homer includes getting hooked on medicinal marijuana.

Just like past episodes, a handful of talented celebrities will lend their voices. Look out for Richard Gere as himself, Pierce Brosnan as the voice of a computer, and Dennis Weaver portraying an old Western star. Favorite Jon Lovitz returns as Marge’s high school sweetheart to lure her with $1 million for a weekend getaway.

“The Simpsons” was created by cartoonist Groening. It first appeared in 1987 as a series of 30 second shots for “The Tracey Ullman Show.” Overwhelming response landed the Simpsons their own prime-time show, which has received 12 Emmys over the years. No cartoon or comedy show has lasted as long as “The Simpsons” has.

“The Simpsons” airs Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. on FOX.