The sauce is good: Pietro’s eats affordable and tasty

In recent years, the trendy metropolitan district encompassing the area around W. Walnut Street and Rittenhouse Square has become one of the hippest spots in the city to live, dine and shop. It is an

In recent years, the trendy metropolitan district encompassing the area around W. Walnut Street and Rittenhouse Square has become one of the hippest spots in the city to live, dine and shop. It is an ever-growing community, and countless people venture there every year to experience all that the area has to offer.

The widespread fascination with this area is due mostly to its array of upscale shops, homes and eateries, not to mention the neighborhood’s unmistakable beauty and charm.

Because of the trove of designer stores and expensive homes that line the area, it may seem that it is reserved solely for the rich and extravagant. Although this area has a reputation for being a bit pricey, do not be intimidated. You will not have to spend an arm and a leg to enjoy great, quality food.

Pietro’s Coal Oven Pizzeria, located at and 17th and Walnut streets, attracts young and old alike for its fancy, yet affordable pizza and Italian cuisine. On any given day, the line at Pietro’s can be seen stretched out the door.

After downing one of Pietro’s popular coal-oven pizzas, and getting a taste of the restaurant’s comfy atmosphere, it is easy to understand why so many people take such culinary pleasure in this Italian ristorante.

It is best to let the food speak for itself. The menu at Pietro’s is large and diverse, and every dish is worthy of recognition. From pasta to salmon, veal to coconut sorbet, this popular eatery offers something for just about any food lover.

Just as its name implies, Pietro’s signature menu item is – surprise – its delectable coal-oven pizza. It is baked fresh with Italian sauce and cheese, and can be ordered with a variety of additional toppings such as eggplant, sausage, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.

Prices for these coal-oven creations range from $9.95 to $13.95, depending on the size, and portions are large enough to satisfy any appetite.

If you happen to be extra hungry when you visit Pietro’s, you just may opt for a quick appetizer to precede your meal. Starters such as fried calamari, roasted vegetables, mozzarella sticks, and stuffed mushrooms are great pre-meal selections at a reasonable price, from $ 4.95 to $8.95.

For a meal that is a bit more light and healthy, one of Pietro’s gourmet salads is an excellent choice. The insalata siciliana is comprised of fresh mozzarella, olives, carrots and other veggies served over a bed of green lettuce, while the mozzarella fresca salad includes sun-dried tomatoes, onions, roasted peppers and fresh mozzarella. Prices are all under $10 and can be eaten either as an appetizer or as a meal.

If you prefer a meal not straight from the oven, try dishes like cheese-filled tortellini, rigatoni alla vodka, pollo parmigiano and Atlantic salmon. Each of these dishes costs between $8.95 and $14.95, and are well worth every penny.

If all this food is just not enough, top your meal off with one of Pietro’s exquisite desserts.

Chocolate truffle mouse, cheesecake and cannolis are just a few of the treats offered on the menu and make a great finale to what will undoubtedly be a satisfying meal.

Gina Sicilia can be reached at gina123@temple.edu.