The Trolley Car Diner offers patrons a blast from the past

Ask anyone who was alive in the 1950s, and they’ll tell you it was a time like no other. With all the movies and collectibles that commemorate the decade and its lifestyle, we sometimes long

Ask anyone who was alive in the 1950s, and they’ll tell you it was a time like no other.

With all the movies and collectibles that commemorate the decade and its lifestyle, we sometimes long for things to be like they once were. The Trolley Car Diner is a throwback to a simpler time.

In terms of bang for your buck, this is a diner that delivers. The throwback appeal is what draws people in. The prices they find once they arrive are what keep them there.

Jukeboxes line the walls. The neon lights and chrome trim hit you the minute you walk in. But the nostalgia isn’t the only draw.

The menu of the Trolley Car Diner doesn’t consist of chef masterpieces, but it does boast American food staples like burgers, fries and good old-fashioned apple pie.

The entrees range from simple dishes like meatloaf, to a plate of broiled salmon or a seafood sampler. Nothing on the menu exceeds fifteen dollars, and the majority of popular dinners are under 10 bucks.

The burgers are available with all the fixings, but served up simply are absolutely delicious. Milkshakes, along with numerous other guilty pleasures, fill the mouthwatering dessert menu.

The atmosphere parallels the menu in its simplicity. The old-fashioned booths along with the oldies playing in the background paired with a tasty meal make a person forget about all temporary troubles, e.g. the flunked mid-term.

The friendly service makes it even more enjoyable.

There are fancier restaurants out there, but fancy equals expensive. The Trolley Car Diner offers both a cheap meal and a good place to relax for a few hours.

Whether looking for a cup of coffee and a sandwich, a casual gathering with some friends or a place to take your significant other when pockets are much less than half full, the Trolley Car Dinner is the place to go.

A dinner for two, consisting of burgers and fries, an appetizer, two drinks and a slice of pie, will cost just under $20. How’s that for a bargain?

What this diner lacks in glitz, it makes up for in its menu choices and great prices. For an elegant night out on the town, go to Center City for one of its high class restaurants.

For a cheap, fun and fulfilling casual meal, give the Trolley Car Diner a try. You won’t be disappointed.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu