Three track athletes earn A-10 honors

The Temple men’s and women’s indoor track teams mixed veteran steadiness with freshmen energy at the second annual Jack Pyrah Invitational at Haverford College last Sunday. Senior Jonathan Albright led the men with a win

The Temple men’s and women’s indoor track teams mixed veteran steadiness with freshmen energy at the second annual Jack Pyrah Invitational at Haverford College last Sunday. Senior Jonathan Albright led the men with a win in the 55-meter hurdles and a sixth-place finish in the 500-meter dash. His hurdle time of 7.65 seconds qualifies him for the ICAAAA Championships in March.

Freshman Anthony DeJesus and Rahmel Huffman also placed first for Temple in the 800 meters (2:03.62) and high jump (6 feet, 4 inches), respectively. Albright was named Atlantic Ten Co-Performer of the Week, and Huffman was named A-10 Rookie of the Week.

On the women’s side, senior Rachel Clinton led the way for the Owls. She qualified for the ECAC Championships by winning the 55-meter hurdles in a time of 8.12. Clinton also finished third in the 55-meter dash. Clinton was named A-10 Co-Performer of the Week for her efforts.

The freshman class began their collegiate careers on a positive start. Shanice DePass and Delicia Sample won the 800 meters in a time of 2:26.51 and 500 meters in a time of 1:21.75, respectively. Freshman long jumper Judy Wong finished second with a leap of 15 feet, 9 inches.

The teams will be back in action Saturday at Ursinus College. Races begin at 11:00 a.m.