Tickets for Owls events debut online

Former university President Peter Liacouras bought the first New Era ticket at the Liacouras Center’s box office on Nov. 11 for the Temple men’s basketball opening game. For the first time this year, Temple students

Former university President Peter Liacouras bought the first New Era ticket at the Liacouras Center’s box office on Nov. 11 for the Temple men’s basketball opening game.

For the first time this year, Temple students and other patrons will be able to purchase tickets for games, concerts and plays at both Liacouras and Tomlinson Theater online and by phone.

New Era Tickets, a Philadelphia-based entertainment management firm owned by the Comcast-Spectacor, undertook the new changes. Previously, patrons attending events at the center had to purchase tickets at the Liacouras Center and the Tomlinson Theater box offices, which had limited box office hours. A representative of the Cherry Crusade, the student branch of Temple’s athletic marketing department, said having more options to purchase tickets would be good.

“Our job is to find ways to better promote games to students,” said Greg Novickoff, a junior political science major, and co-president of Cherry Crusade. “They [students] think that their GAF cards will get them in for free to all the games, but it doesn’t.”

According to their Web site, New Era uses Paciolan technology and “provides personalized ticketing, database marketing and access management functionality to sports and entertainment organizations, allowing them to sell and manage sales personally under their own name.” Paciolan, an IBM computer program, “keeps track of tickets sold by phone, on the Internet, or at the Liacouras center box office,” the Web site said.

Also in attendance at this historical ceremony, were the Chief Executive Officer of New Era Tickets, Fred Maglione, Associate Vice President for Business Services Rich Rumer and Liacouras Center Marketing Manager Brian Cunningham.

“It’s a personalized way for the university to sell their tickets using the university brand,” Maglione said. “The Paciolan technology is significantly different. It’s geared towards university ticketing. Any channel to communicate with the campus is made available. The call center will answer ‘Temple University.'” Now, students can purchase tickets on the Web at www.liacourascenter.com, by phone at 1-888-OWLSTIX or in person at the Liacouras Center box office.

Kenyatta A. N. Joseph can be reached at kenyajoe@temple.edu.