Timeline of a tenure

May 18, 2000 – Adamany introduced as Temple’s eighth president. July 2, 2001 – Just over a year on the job, Adamany unveils an extensive agenda for Temple’s growth as one of the nation’s top

May 18, 2000 – Adamany introduced as Temple’s eighth president.

July 2, 2001 – Just over a year on the job, Adamany unveils an extensive agenda for Temple’s growth as one of the nation’s top urban universities at a Board of Trustees meeting. Adamany’s plan includes increasing enrollment on each of Temple’s five campuses, completing renovations on Main Campus’ Student Center, reviewing all academic and core curriculum programs and investing more than $100 million in projects such as computer labs and off-campus housing.

Sept. 20, 2001 – Adamany writes an open letter to university staff and students, addressing national tragedies that occurred just nine days prior. In the letter, he stresses the tolerance of all races, faiths, and ethnic backgrounds.

July 2, 2002 – Introduces Bill Bradshaw as the university’s new Director of Athletics.

June 26, 2003 – The Baptist Temple, located at Broad Street and Berks Mall on Main Campus, is unveiled as an American Institute of Architects Landmark Building. Adamany made a strong commitment to refurbishing the aging building, which was first overseen by Temple’s first president, Russell Conwell.

Sept. 4, 2003 – As state tuition rates increase by an average of $532 per academic year, Adamany ensures Temple students that the university “remains committed to providing an accessible, high-quality education.”

March 4, 2004 – Addresses Pennsylvania lawmakers to increase Temple’s state funding by 5 percent so the university can continue “providing educational opportunities for the increasing number of students who enroll,” at Temple.

April 22, 2004 – Adamany spearheads Temple’s commitment to establishing a more rigorous academic code. The new standards were punctuated by the establishment of a cumulative average of a ‘C’ for students who wish to remain enrolled in school as credits began to accumulate.

June 6, 2004 – Adamany visits Temple Japan’s commencement ceremony, becoming the first Temple president ever to do so.

Feb. 24, 2005 – Adamany e-mails a statement to the Temple community concerning the injury of Saint Joseph’s men’s basketball player John Bryant, which was the consequence of a hard foul by a Temple player two days earlier. “As a result,” Adamany wrote, “I have asked the Athletic Department to clear the first rows of the Cherry and White section for the game against the University of Massachusetts.”

Sept. 7, 2005 – Adamany holds his first-ever press conference with The Temple News, where the president spoke candidly about on-campus housing, continually-rising academic standards, and men’s basketball coach John Chaney, among other topics. The full transcript of the interview is posted in the Sept. 13, 2005, issue, which can be accessed using Temple News’ online archives.

Jan. 19, 2006 – Adamany makes official his resignation as Temple’s eighth president, a move that becomes effective June 30, 2006.

Source: Temple University press releases