Tips for making minutes

Although the new year officially started Jan. 1, Temple’s new year is just beginning. As the spring 2004 term commences, students are discovering the real challenges that lay ahead. More complicated than any equation is

Although the new year officially started Jan. 1, Temple’s new year is just beginning. As the spring 2004 term commences, students are discovering the real challenges that lay ahead.

More complicated than any equation is finding enough hours in the day to encompass all aspects of one’s life.

Broadcast major Jacquin Walker credited her strengths to being mentally prepared. Noting that education is an undertaking not to be taken lightly, Walker aims to get the most out of each semester.

As a budding thespian, the senior has appeared on All My Children and continues to act in plays during her leisure time.

“You have to grow up. Get your mind right,” Walker said. But the budding thespian did leave room for fun. “Just have fun with college and get your work done.”

Keeping a strict schedule is also beneficial in adjusting to the new semester.

“I keep a good calendar and get ahead in my work,” geology professor Rick Valentino said. “This allows a time cushion in case of those unexpected events that need to be penciled in.”

Having taught many courses throughout his years at Temple, Valentino reiterates the importance of time allocation. The flexibility of hours allows time to research as well as tutor students in need.

Students must find the balance between studies and work. With the increasing expenses attributed to higher learning, this burden can become overwhelming and time consuming.

“I’m in a band and I work in the Office of Development here at Temple,” third year student Nicole Hamilton explained. With a double major in English and Classics, Hamilton juggles her responsibilities with strict diligence.

For some students, such as Kate Ream, this semester is a first at Temple. But Ream, a transfer student from a private college, is ready for the adjustment.

“I’m a little nervous,” she said, confessing her first day jitters. Despite her anxiety, the social work sophomore gave herself a passing grade on how she would fare.

While a lax schedule may not be in the curriculum, time management and scheduling can help ease the stress.

Stephanie Guerilus can be reached at Luv2BSteph@aol.com