To have a real democracy, participation is mandatory

Over the past two months, I have been practicing grassroots Americanism in its purist form. Since we live in a country devoid of direct democracy or binding referendums, I fulfilled my civic duty by writing

Over the past two months, I have been practicing grassroots Americanism in its purist form.

Since we live in a country devoid of direct democracy or binding referendums, I fulfilled my civic duty by writing letters.

See, there’s this war thing going down that I’m not into, and I thought someone should know.

I’ve written to local government officials, members of Congress,
and even the president.

I’ve gotten a few token responses, always from so-and-so’s desk, or the office of so-and-so.

On the surface, it seems that I’m being ignored.

But I can only hope that something I write resonates with a staff member or a secretary, and that my message percolates to its desired target.

And just because these letters haven’t gotten the reception that I had hoped doesn’t mean the next one won’t.

On Feb. 15, I participated in the anti-war march here in Philadelphia–another avenue of political participation.

It was a fulfilling experience, braving the cold and the wind to voice my grievance.

The thousands of socially conscious, caring people that surrounded me provided inspiration.

I was reassured of the potential for grassroots advocacy in our great nation.

All told, about 10,000 to 15,000 people participated.

Millions more joined in around the world. I found great strength in the numbers.

Unfortunately, policy makers are putting little stock in them.

In a country that stresses democratic values–rule for the people by the people–our government isn’t listening to us.

According to a CNN poll, 57 percent of Americans believe that United Nations weapons inspectors should be given more time to do their work, and that all diplomatic means should be exhausted before we turn to war.

Yet the U.S. has readied more than 100,000 ground troops for combat, and this administration seems to view diplomacy as a tired tradition.

I would like to think that writing a letter or participating in a rally would change all that, but I know better. I’m just one voice.

Yet some polling expert at CNN says that I am echoing the voice of the majority.

If existing as mere statistics doesn’t do us justice, responding to our leaders as American citizens with names and faces that match the numbers will.

Imagine if 57 percent of Americans wrote letters denouncing the handling of Iraq.

Or, if 57 percent of Americans spent their Saturday afternoons rallying for their cause.

We’d be pretty difficult to ignore, then.

and even the president.

Siding with the majority means nothing in a country whose government isn’t paying attention.

You must make your views known, and do it repeatedly. Activism is a tough business, and you have to make a lot of noise to be heard.

If it seems as though we are detached from our government, it is only because we are not using the available means to participate.

But with some effort and some utility, our nation can flourish as the thoughtful, democratic society our founding fathers hoped it would be.

Keep this in mind as you reflect on issues of the day.

Make your views known and your voices heard.

After all, we cannot have a profitable marketplace of ideas if everyone keeps their wares for themselves.

Jesse Chadderdon can be reached at jchadder@temple.edu.