Top 10 movies of the year

10. The Score – Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro and Edward Norton, three talented actors, join forces in this sensational thriller. 9. The Curse of the Jade Scorpion – A simple yet entertaining film set

10. The Score – Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro and Edward Norton, three talented actors, join forces in this sensational thriller.

9. The Curse of the Jade Scorpion – A simple yet entertaining film set in the forties about an unlikely couple under the spell of a stage hypnotist. Woody Allen proves his worth once again.

8. Sugar and Spice – A surprisingly enjoyable film. If only all teen flicks could be as dynamic and witty as this one.

7. The Tailor of Panama – One of the most overlooked films of the year. Brosnan and co. sets the mainstream mumbo jumbo aside and presents a captivating thriller.

6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J.K. Rowling’s magical fantasy comes to life with Chris Columbus’ vision. Read the book first, you’ll appreciate the film even more.

5. Monster’s Inc. – Pixar’s enchanting story about life as a monster. Plus, as an added bonus, there is a Star Wars Episode II trailer at the beginning of the film.

4. Waking Life – A genuine cinematic pleasure and a novel in movie animation. Richard Linklater’s acclaimed film is an amazing dreamscape.

3. Amélie – Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s latest film is unconventional, charming and passionate. A romantic comedy has never looked so good.

2. Mulholland Drive – A journey on Mulholland Drive is like no other – surreal, unpredictable and exciting. David Lynch’s tale, rich with originality and emotion, is truly satisfying.

1. Before Night Falls – A very poetic and poignant film about the trials and tribulations of exiled Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas. Worthy of every award it won and more.

-Carmen Dukes