Track teams place 7th at A-10 finals

The men’s and women’s track teams both placed seventh overall at the Atlantic Ten Conference Indoor Championships on Saturday at the University of Rhode Island. The host Rams captured both the men’s and women’s titles.

The men’s and women’s track teams both placed seventh overall at the Atlantic Ten Conference Indoor Championships on Saturday at the University of Rhode Island.

The host Rams captured both the men’s and women’s titles.

Junior Rachel Clinton won the A-10 55-meter hurdles title, while junior Jon Albright and senior Craig Henry each placed third in the 55-meter hurdles and triple jump, respectively.

Clinton, who was named to the A-10 Indoor All-Conference team, was followed by junior Jessica Dunston (second place) and senior Jaweia Campbell (fourth place). The 4 x 800 relay team of Aisha Raheem, Ruby Amanze, Rachel Johnson and Tanesha Shelton placed second.

Clinton, Dunston, Erin Davis, Aderonke Adeniyi and the relay team all will compete in the ECAC Championships on March 6-7 in Boston.

Albright is the only male performer to qualify for the ECACs.

Coach George Phillips said he is looking forward to the 4 x 800 relay event.

“They’re going to have a very tough time because there are many great 4 x 800 relay teams in the country,” Phillips said. “So they have their work cut out for them. They have to perform very well and have a great day.”

Injuries have been a major problem for the men’s team, coach George Phillips said. Phillips is looking forward to his team’s receiving both a physical and mental break before the outdoor season, which starts March 20 at the Quaker Invitational hosted by University of Pennsylvania.

Once the Owls return from spring break, they will begin speed and endurance workouts as well as sprints before their season officially starts.

Phillips likes the outdoor season and its advantages.

“The weather gets better, the kids attitudes get better,” Phillips said. “If the weather gets warmer then the muscles get warmer. So the outdoor season is a plus for us.

“If the weather’s good we love it, if it’s cold we suffer real bad.”

This year, Phillips hopes the weather will cut his team a break.

Toshi Horiuchi can be reached at thori1978@aol.com.