Trick, Treat or Terror?

Forget about the red, watery dye oozing out of fake wounds, the plastic, disproportionate eyes springing out of their sockets, and the less-than-realistic makeup that leaves you rolling your eyes rather than shrieking in horror.

Once upon a time, that might have done the job, but now as an older, wiser audience, you don’t scare so easily, right? Sure, you can take a walk through the state penitentiary in the dark any day. Or how about those haunted hayrides that lead you straight into the darkness surrounded only by woods? This year, Halloween promises to live up to the terror you expect, with a few added bonuses, just for fun.

So what is there to do on Halloween? Well, there are always the select few who are bound to knock on your door, even in the dorms, carrying empty pillowcases and searching for treats. But rather than being the one stuck in your room, opening the door, check out some of these possibilities.

Terror Behind the Walls: Once home to the likes of Al Capone, Eastern State Penitentiary opens up its massive doors and invites you into the cellblocks of crumbling ruins and empty hallways. Its intimate and intimidating gothic structure creates an unnerving atmosphere, and has a spooky history that will to add to your fright.

River Edge’s Haunted Hayride: All bundled up for a 35-minute hayride on a fall night. With a 15-minute walk in pitch darkness through a mortuary, this is the perfect selection for those that want a little excitement, yet get scared easily.

Henri David’s Halloween 2001: What’s Halloween without the costume ball and a little dancing? The Monster Bash is at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza Hotel this year, with an anticipated crowd of 3,000. From drag queens to celebrity look-a-likes, everyone is welcome and automatically entered into competition for a prize!

The Ghost Tour: Want to know what really happens in Old City? Sure to shock you, the tour let’s out all the secrets of Philadelphia.

Halloween Concert: Once a year, the Orchestra members shed their tuxes and gowns for costumes for this popular concert. With an array of spooky music from Jaws to the Poltergeist, this is a special night for the Academy of Music.

This time of year, the laws of space and time are suspended. The past meets the present, and the souls of the spirit world intermingle with the living. Welcome to Halloween 2001.