Trustees vote to elect one of their own

The Board of Trustees added a new member to its ranks at their first meeting of the fall semester at the Feinstone Lounge in Sullivan Hall last Tuesday. The Committee on Trustee Affairs unanimously elected

The Board of Trustees added a new member to its ranks at their first meeting of the fall semester at the Feinstone Lounge in Sullivan Hall last Tuesday.

The Committee on Trustee Affairs unanimously elected Jane Scaccetti to the Board for a term that began Oct. 9 and ends Oct. 11, 2011. Scaccetti, who received a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Temple, is a founder of the accounting firm Drucker & Scaccetti, P.C., at 1845 Walnut St.

The Trust Affairs committee also moved to re-elect Chair of the Board of Trustees Daniel H. Polett and President Ann Weaver Hart. The committee also elected Edna S. Tuttleman as an honorary life trustee. All of these motions were passed unanimously.

During the meeting, the Facilities Committee made several recommendations for action. A recommendation for renovations to Klein Hall’s heating and water system was approved.

The creation of $940,000-worth of new office space for technology infrastructure upgrade staff and the renovation of classrooms in Barton Hall, Beury Hall, the Biology-Life Sciences Building and Wachman Hall were also approved. Renovations in those buildings are “not-to-exceed $300,000” according to the meeting minutes.

Furthermore, it was decided that the Bachelor of Arts in the department of Greek and Roman classics would be renamed. Greek and Roman Classics will now be known as Classics in the College of Liberal Arts. This change also included the establishment of a concentration in classical languages, literature and civilizations for the renamed degree.

Prior to the recommendations, the meeting began with a tribute to former chair of the Board, Howard Gittis, who died Sept. 17 of a heart ailment.

Keynote speakers during the tribute included his successor Polett, Hart and former president and honorary life trustee Peter Liacouras

The next Board of Trustees meeting will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 11, in the Feinstone Lounge on the second floor of Sullivan Hall at 3:30 p.m.

Brad Larrison can be reached at brad.larrison@temple.edu.