TSG elects new parliamentarian

Students at the Temple Student Government meeting elected Jon DeSantis as their new parliamentarian at their weekly meeting yesterday. DeSantis, a sophomore, emphasized his experience with TSG in his PowerPoint presentation. He served on the

Students at the Temple Student Government meeting elected Jon DeSantis as their new parliamentarian at their weekly meeting yesterday.

DeSantis, a sophomore, emphasized his experience with TSG in his PowerPoint presentation. He served on the Allocations Board and the Election Committee last year. He said that TSG is in desperate need of change.

“Change is possible. Change is necessary. Now is the time,” DeSantis said.

DeSantis defeated Kym Bays, a sophomore journalism and political science major, in a close election. He said his goals as parliamentarian include the establishment of a Student Advocacy Commission and the creation of a new and empowering constitution.

Ashley Mabrey, the speaker for TSG, said the position was very important.

“The parliamentarian serves as the right hand to the Elections Commissioner and will play a crucial role at the Constitution Convention,” Mabrey said.

The Constitution Convention will be held March 2. TSG members can make suggestions regarding the draft of the new constitution to replace the outdated one currently being used. TSG executives have discussed the need for restructuring in the last few meetings. TSG President Juan Galeano expressed his concern regarding the old constitution.

“We are working with a Constitution that was written 25 years ago,” Galeano said. “We need to restructure in order to become a better student government.”

The Student Labor Action Project also presented at the meeting. Members Kevin Paris, Kate Stabler and Thomas Robinson talked about the need for more people to become involved with SLAP. Although they were victorious in getting three paid sick days for Temple AlliedBarton guards, they said there is still more to be accomplished.

SLAP will be holding several events during the National Student Labor Week of Action, from March 28 to April 4. They said they encourage students to participate in some of these events. On March 28, there will be a social and economic justice spoken word event. There will be a discussion panel on Modern Day American Slavery on April 2 and a Step Show for Justice on April 4. Step teams and groups are encouraged to attend.

Other events will be occurring this week in honor of Valentine’s Day. Temple Gospel Ministries will hold the event “The Experience: Entertainment with Christ in Mind,” this Wednesday, Feb. 13. There will be music, singing, and comedy. The event will be held in the Student Center room 200AB. Admission is $7.

The Association for Computer Machinery will be holding a Guitar Hero Contest this Friday, Feb. 15. Admission is $7 and the winner will receive a Nintendo Wii. The contest will be held in the TECH Center room 111.

Rebecca Hale can be reached at Rebecca.hale@temple.edu