TSG focuses on student involvement

The people are beginning to talk about the government, according to one Temple Student Government officer. Dekwuan Postell, TSG Vice President of Student Affairs, is an unwavering proponent of student involvement. Along with Student Trustee

The people are beginning to talk about the government, according to one Temple Student Government officer.

Dekwuan Postell, TSG Vice President of Student Affairs, is an unwavering proponent of student involvement. Along with Student Trustee Bryan Phelan, Postell made sure representatives knew that without their attendance, voices and involvement, TSG would be nothing.

“When I was a freshman, I found that this [meeting time] was a great time to finish papers. But you’ll find out that there’s a lot going on here. Get involved,” Phelan said.

While student involvement is often discussed at TSG General Assembly meetings, it’s never been the focal point of an entire meeting. This week, Postell charged all students, not just representatives, to make their voices heard.

“I get up here and preach because I care about you and the TSG,” Postell said, making it clear that he does not plan on quieting down any time soon.

Postell went on to say that he is proud TSG is the students’ liaison to the President, but that he is ashamed of the fact that few students ever contact him.

“You have to say, ‘I’m going to make these changes.’ Start holding yourself responsible,” Postell said.

However, while some officers asked representatives to help the university, others asked them to help themselves.

President Naeem Thompson used his weekly address to suggest that off-campus students deal with some of the university’s most prominent issues-tenant rights and safety.

Thompson promoted TSG’s workshop on tenant rights, which took place Wednesday night. The workshop, featuring State Representative Jewell Williams, started at 6 p.m. in Tuttleman Hall 303.

Additionally, Captain Eileen Bradley, head of special events and services for the Department of Campus Safety, is holding a listening circle for concerned students at the TSG office. The meeting, which begins Thursday at 5:30 p.m., will respond to the questions that TSG representatives brought up in their meeting with President David A. Adamany.

Thompson also announced that WHIP, the student-run radio station, has secured a location. After the proposed renovations to the Bell Building, the station will Web cast from its first floor, Thompson said.

“You can listen to it even if you don’t have a radio in your room,” Thompson said.

This triumph for student involvement was not the only one that TSG officers spoke about. Nairobi Thomas, chairperson of University Resources for TSG, talked about a recent meeting in which she and Phelan had the opportunity to speak their minds on the decisions that the administration was making.

“Bryan and I went to a facilities management meeting,” Thomas said. “Everybody there liked that we were students voicing our opinions.”

Chris Reber can be reached at chris.reber@temple.edu.