TSG hosts second feedback forum with Aramark

Kasey Marsicano, the marketing manager of Aramark, sat down with a TSG representative to talk about the company’s sustainability efforts and meal options.

Aramark took over as Temple's food service provider in May. | OLIVIA O'NEILL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple Student Government hosted its second live feedback on Wednesday with a representative from Aramark, streamed live on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Student submitted questions to Kasey Marsicano, the marketing manager of Aramark, which were asked on-air by TSG’s Director of Student Affairs Kate Lyn Broom.

For this forum, more than 200 questions were submitted regarding meal equivalencies, sustainability and meal options for students with dietary restrictions, said Melissa Eisgrau, TSG’s director of academic affairs.

The livestream remains available on the social media platforms after the event. Aramark is working to make the livestream available on University Housing and Residential Life’s web page, Eisgrau said.

“The livestream allows the information to stay on social media indefinitely and it’s the kind of information that students and parents want to know,” Eisgrau added.

There are 246 views on the Facebook livestream and 199 views on the livestream posted to Twitter, as of Thursday evening.

Live Feedback Forum with Kasey Marsciano from Aramark! Answering questions about Temple dining services and sustainability!

Posted by Temple Student Government on Wednesday, November 1, 2017

During the livestream, Marsicano fielded questions about sustainability and explained the company’s process of weighing food.

Throughout the day, each chef writes down how much food product they are using and they log which days are busier than others. This allows Aramark to keep track of how much food it actually needs to use and eliminate waste.

For students with dietary restrictions, Marsicano said there is a variety of vegan, halal and kosher options available throughout campus. Aramark attempts to maintain a balance between options within dining halls and retail eateries on campus.

“We try to have something for almost everyone at every location,” Marsicano added.

Ivy Attenborough, a freshman environmental engineering major who watched the livestream, has been a vegan for five years.

“[Being vegan] is something that is always on my mind,” she said. “The variety here is better than I thought it would be but there still can be improvements made.”

Eisgrau and other members of TSG are continuing to plan live feedback forums to give students access to high-level administrators who students do not usually interact with.

“We are always looking for recommendations from students so we know who they want to hear from and what they want to know,” Eisgrau added. “We are trying to bring information to people that impacts students’ every day life.”