TSG marks 24-hour computer lab

Temple Student Government held a ceremony marking the opening of the first 24-hour computer lab on campus before Monday’s TSG meeting. Vice president of Student Affairs Theresa Powell and Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons addressed

Temple Student Government held a ceremony marking the opening of the first 24-hour computer lab on campus before Monday’s TSG meeting.

Vice president of Student Affairs Theresa Powell and Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons addressed the TSG members present.

“On behalf of administration, [I would like to thank] T.J. [Baker, TSG President], his executive board, members of General Assembly…for your hard work,” Powell said.

“It’s the outcome of the hard work of TSG,” Fitzsimmons said, “thank you to all the TSG leaders.”

Baker thanked those in the university administration who made the 24-hour computer access for students possible.

The ceremony took place in the entrance hall of the Tuttleman Learning Center.

Later, at the meeting, the National Marrow Donor Program was introduced by Yvette Torres from the American Red Cross.

There is a critical need for non-white donors, according to Torres.

“Out of 5 million registry in the nation, 80 percent are Caucasians, so there are few possibilities for African-Americans, Hispanics or Asians to get matched bone marrow from unrelated donors.”

November is National Bone Marrow Awareness Month and volunteer donors can register simply by taking small samples.

The samples are sent to a national lab and if matched with listed patients, the donor will be contacted to make the donation.

Student and faculties can become donors at Temple on Nov. 14 from 1-5 p.m.

Details will be announced, but anyone between 18 and 60 who is healthy can volunteer for donation.

Torres will come back and speak about the donation process on Thursday, Nov. 7 at 6:30 p.m., in Student Center room 309.

TSG Community Service Affairs Committee is sponsoring the program.

“Your blood becomes their blood so it’s critical that you’re healthy,” Torres said, “but we [non-whites], have to step up and make a change.”

TSG did not vote on resolutions that were tabled last week because the computer lab ceremony delayed the start of the meeting.

The deadline for voting is 6 p.m.

TSG committee and officer reports and the weekly comments from Fitzsimmons were also cancelled.

Saeko Komura can be reached at saekokomura@yahoo.co.jp