TSG meeting comes with resolutions, resignation

Temple Student Government met on Monday, Nov. 15 for its sixth senate meeting of the semester, during which its members discussed a new program, “Cherry, White and You,” as well as bills U10-1 and U10-2.

TSG Senate President Colin Saltry began the meeting by announcing that TSG has disbanded its Special Committee on Sustainability. Shortly after, Senator Kyle Goldstein, who had presented initiatives on sustainability, resigned from TSG.

During office and advisory reports, Director of Student Activities Gina D’Annunzio announced that 36 new student organizations have registered this semester.

Saltry went over some “basic truisms” that TSG faces. Saltry said that TSG has had little institutional memory and historically had small initiatives with small impact.

“We don’t know everything,” Saltry said. “We don’t know everyone. We’re not connected with every student organization. We don’t know all the issues.”

Saltry said the “Cherry, White and You,” program is designed to launch a tour to collect student issues, collaborate on a “How Temple Works” multimedia series, develop policies based on feedback and spur member initiative.  Saltry said the specific focus areas are administrative, quality of life and TSG working for the students.

There will be a kick-off event for this new project before the semester is over.

It was also announced that Samantha Hanco will take the spot of senior advisor to the senate president for strategic initiatives.

Senate Bill U10-1, introduced by Senator of the College of Health Professions and Social Work Jordan Holbert, and sponsored by the University Life Committee, was then debated and unanimously passed.

Senator for the Committee of University Life Alyssa Ecker said the bill seeks to recognize Campus Safety for its improved efforts in notifying Temple students through the updated TU Alert and TU Advisory systems.

Senator of the College of Education Monica Rindfleisch then introduced Senate Bill U10-2, a resolution that recognizes the “inability to reactivate a previously lost ID card.” It calls for TSG to look into potentially reducing costs for purchasing new Temple student IDs and reactivating old ones.

Senate Bill U10-2 was sent back to the University Life Committee so that further research could be done before voting.

Student Body President Natalie Ramos-Castillo introduced two nominees for the TSG Supreme Court, which currently has one open seat and another seat expected to become vacant.

Clerk of the Supreme Court Julian Fowler, who was a part of the elections commission last year, and Senator Jillian Kochis were announced as the two nominees. The positions will be voted on at a later date.

TSG’s last State of the Campus address of the semester will take place Monday, Nov. 22 at 4 p.m.

Cary Carr can be reached at cary.carr@temple.edu.