TSG names hopefuls for upcoming elections

The names of the candidates who will participate in the upcoming Temple Student Government election were announced by Parliamentarian Alex Barbosa at the general assembly meeting yesterday. The candidates from “Building Temple Tradition” are TSG

The names of the candidates who will participate in the upcoming Temple Student Government election were announced by Parliamentarian Alex Barbosa at the general assembly meeting yesterday.

The candidates from “Building Temple Tradition” are TSG Treasurer Ryan Feldman and organizational representatives Paolo DeVito and Mawata Dunbar. Running against them will be “Owl Evolution” consisting of Main Campus Program Board President Raysean Hogan, TSG Diversity Affairs Co-Chair Juan Galeano and junior Priya Patel.

For the “Building Temple Tradition” slate, Feldman will run for president, Dunbar will run for vice president of academic affairs and Devito will run for vice president of student affairs.

For the “Owl Evolution” slate, Hogan will run for president, Patel will run for vice president of academic affairs and Galeano will run for vice president of student affairs.

Both slates will compete in a series of debates in upcoming weeks. The first debate will be held at 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, March 28 at the Johnson and Hardwick residence halls.

In addition, Allocations Chair Arsie Solomon announced during her weekly report that she was resigning from her position.

“It’s been kind of hectic for me [lately],” Solomon said to the general assembly while holding back tears.

Solomon said she would still be available to answer questions about the allocations process, in addition to helping the next allocations chairperson get acclimated with the position. TSG Speaker Kate Tramontana said interviews for Solomon’s replacement started yesterday night.

Vice President of Student Affairs Cristina Ackas talked about difficult circumstances that the allocations chairperson faces.

“It’s a hard job,” Ackas said. “[The allocations committee] meets for long hours, usually after hours and Arsie was in charge of everything,”

During her report, Ackas called a distraught Solomon to the podium to thank her for helping “to turn the allocations process around.” Ackas, who described herself as a close friend of Solomon, said that her presence at TSG would be missed.

“You were a great asset to TSG as a friend and as a directing officer, and I want to thank you for all of your help,” she said.

Ackas closed her report by saying that the next Allocations Chair “would have a lot of work to do.”

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.