TSG tables all allocations bills; no cash for student groups yet

Several student organizations will have to wait another week before they receive funding from Temple Student Government. TSG members were ready to vote on about 15 student organization bills during their general assembly meeting Monday,

Several student organizations will have to wait another week before they receive funding from Temple Student Government.

TSG members were ready to vote on about 15 student organization bills during their general assembly meeting Monday, but after noticing several errors on the bills which were displayed, Allocations Chair Eric Stephenson motioned to table all of the bills until next week.

Stephenson and seven other allocations committee members are responsible for writing the bills and determining how much money each student organization will receive.

“We didn’t have all of the resources we needed to make this happen at this time,” Stephenson said. “I will be working throughout the week to make sure that everything is straightened out for the next meeting.”

Due to problems with TSG’s computer system, Stephenson said, several allocation bills that were written in previous years were accidentally printed out and displayed in place of the current bills.

In addition to correcting those technical issues, Stephenson said he will reformat the layout of the bills to make them more reader-friendly for the general assembly.

In his report, TSG President Raysean Hogan told the general assembly about “The Temple Factor,” a program, co-sponsored by Main Campus Program Board, which is designed to increase voter turnout among Temple students by at least 10 percent for Pennsylvania’s November elections.

“From now until October 2 [the deadline for voter registration] we’re going to try to go for one more push to register as many people as we can,” Hogan said.

Hogan said he is interested in discussing political issues during general assembly and possibly inviting candidates to GA meetings to discuss their platforms.

“What I want to do is make people aware of what the issues are,” he said, “because I don’t think everyone knows who is running for senator. I don’t think everyone knows who is running for governor and those are some of the things that we wanted to talk about.”

While Hogan attempts to register 1,000 new student voters, Vice President of Student Affairs Juan Galeano is hoping to get the same number of students to participate in “1K Help For A Day.”

The goal of the all-day event, which will take place on Oct. 21, is to get at least 1,000 students volunteers to perform various tasks in North Philadelphia.

“There is a need in North Philadelphia for people to help out in the community,” Galeano said. “This event is designed to get people excited about helping out the community, while hanging out with their friends.

“We’re going to be making Temple history,” he said. “We’ve never had this many people participate in an event of this nature before.”

The “1K Help For a Day” committee is looking for people to take on leadership positions, Galeano said. The committee will hold general interest meetings in the TSG office in Student Center room 244 on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and Thursday at 4 p.m.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.