TSG to host spring activities

April will play host to numerous student activities such as the popular Spring Fling and student elections. Several organizations will host events this month during Temple’s annual festivities. At Monday’s meeting, TSG passed a bill

April will play host to numerous student activities such as the popular Spring Fling and student elections. Several organizations will host events this month during Temple’s annual festivities.

At Monday’s meeting, TSG passed a bill to allocate $4,000 for Spring Fling activities for the coming weeks in April. Different student organizations will have booths around the Bell Tower to celebrate Spring Fling in the “Battle of the Decades.” There will be a dunk tank during the festivities from which the proceeds will go toward the “Books Not Guns” campaign.

TSG will hold elections for administrative officers April 13 and 14. Students will be able to vote at tuvote.org. There will be debate amongst the candidates today at 11:30 a.m. in the Student Center atrium.

In addition, anyone interested in being a poll watcher on Election Day can contact Denica Beaton, the elections commissioner, in TSG’s office in the Student Center. Poll watchers are needed for the hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and will be paid up to $6.50 per hour.

Furthermore, a representative from the university bookstore addressed the general assembly about student buy-back options. At the approval of TSG, the bookstore will send a letter to faculty members, encouraging them to get orders in for textbooks early. The earlier the orders are in, the more money students can get back for their textbooks when they sell them back to the bookstore.

According to the letter, last December there was a “32 percent increase in dollars paid to Temple students. The increase was a direct result of the bookstore receiving 69 percent of the Spring 2004 term orders from faculty verses 55 percent from the prior year.”

Arnold Boyd, program coordinator of student activities, spoke to the general assembly about the “Six-part Educational Workshop Series,” to be held April 13 through April 15. The workshop series will teach student leaders about managing money, transitional plans for leaders, ethics and facilities and E-reservations.

TSG’s community service committee will hold “Shadow Day” on April 16 where high school students from surrounding neighborhoods will follow selected Temple students for a day. Temple students will serve as tour guides for the high school students, showing them what Temple has to offer as a university.

Charmie Snetter can be reached at snett77@temple.edu.