TSG urges help in search

Each week at its general assembly meetings, Temple Student Government chairpersons encourage students to share their concerns and opinions as much as possible. Sometimes they receive a considerable amount of feedback. At other times, they

Each week at its general assembly meetings, Temple Student Government chairpersons encourage students to share their concerns and opinions as much as possible.

Sometimes they receive a considerable amount of feedback. At other times, they hear nothing but silence.

Now, as the search for president David Adamany’s successor gathers steam, TSG representatives are urging all students to speak up and take part in the process.

Adamany, who announced his pending retirement in January, will retain his role as the university’s president until May. A presidential search committee is currently examining prospective candidates to replace Adamany. The committee will announce a final decision by the end of May.

TSG President Oscar Chow, the lone student representative on the search committee, said that the search process is “a very vital time for the university.”

He said the series of constituency meetings held with William Funk of Korn/Ferry International, the executive search firm in charge of selecting a new candidate, were “positive” and “very beneficial.”

Chow used a portion of his report to field questions and listen to suggestions from students.

“I would like to know that what I am saying [at the committee meetings] is supported by the students,” Chow said. “That is why it’s important for me to receive as many of your opinions as possible.”

Chow said some of the suggestions he receives from students will be included in a formal brief that he will submit to the search committee.

Representatives said the presidential candidate should have an interest in preserving the neighborhood surrounding Temple’s campus and should attempt to fund better research in certain departments.

Age was also cited as an important factor in the decision. Press director Anne Korme said a candidate who can relate to students and can “make their presence felt on campus” is essential.

She mentioned that President David Adamany was often seen on campus at places like Johnson and Hardwick cafeteria.

In his report, Dean of Students Ainsley Carry explained why students should participate in the hiring of the next president.

“It is a unique experience to be attending an institution while it is going through a presidential search,” Carry said. “As they [TSG] create opportunities for students to get involved in this process, you want your voice to be at the table.”

Once presidential candidates begin to visit the campus, Carry said he intends to return to TSG to seek further participation from general assembly members. He later said freshmen and sophomores in particular should be prepared to take an active role in the process.

“This president is going to affect your education,” he said. “I think that you will learn a lot from being a part of the experience. You can help shape this university’s future.”

Earlier in the meeting, Korme and Vice President of Student Affairs Cristina Ackas both discussed how important it is for TSG members to get to know one another.

Korme suggested that members “sit next to somebody new and learn a little bit about their organization,” since a lot of groups share similar features. She said fraternizing with others could help representatives financially and socially.

“It would probably help you out with promotions, as far as getting money for your organization and having a larger turnout for your events,” Korme said. “So perhaps next week we can start meeting some new people.”

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.