TUITION INCREASE REJECTED!

Every year, the possibility of an increase in the tuition rate is discussed at Temple. This year, the increase remains steady. Just a few months ago, tuition was bound for an inflation of 7 percent

Every year, the possibility of an increase in the tuition rate is discussed at Temple. This year, the increase remains steady.

Just a few months ago, tuition was bound for an inflation of 7 percent a year, which would have been 2 percent higher than the annual 5 percent hike. The change was proposed because of increased enrollment and funds needed for projects.

But many people reacted in hopes of stabilizing Temple’s tuition. Student President Bunmi Samuel wrote to former Temple President Peter Liacouras and offered his opinion.

“I notified him that I was very concerned about the rate of tuition,” said Samuel, who strongly opposed the rise. Liacouras also disagreed with the adjustment, according to Samuel.

Last year, Pennsylvania residents paid $6,332 to attend
Temple while out-of-state residents paid $11,450, according to the Office of Student Financial Services.

This year, the price increased to $6,648 for Pennsylvanians. Out-of-state residents paid $12,022. These figures do not include the price of housing and other services.

Since Temple is a state-related university, tuition is lower than at other colleges or universities not subsidized by the state. Private and Ivy League schools can cost as much as $30,000 or more per year.

In May, the Board of Trustees discussed tuition. An action was made to raise the rate of tuition for the 2000-2001 school year from 5 percent to 7 percent. This proposal, rejected by the Board of Trustees and Student Affairs Subcommittee, would have had students paying higher tuition to attend Temple. It is not unusual for the rate of tuition to increase, especially if more money is needed for new projects.

However, some years the tuition at Temple has not increased at all, according to Valaida S. Walker, Vice President of Student Affairs.

“We anticipate what [money] we get from the state and then we make a decision,” said Walker. “We try to keep tuition down as low as we can. The people here are committed to giving affordable tuition. We make every effort possible.”

The decision regarding an increase or decrease of tuition for the 2001-2002 school year will be discussed during a Board of Trustees meeting this spring.