TUmail available to alums

The General Alumni Association and Computer Services are now allowing graduating students to continue to use their Temple e-mail account after their time at the University is over. Students who are graduating may now extend

The General Alumni Association and Computer Services are now allowing graduating students to continue to use their Temple e-mail account after their time at the University is over.

Students who are graduating may now extend their use of the TUmail account for a year without additional charge. After this grace period is over, they will be allowed to continue using this account for the charge of $15 a year.

Any existing alumni who wish to renew their TUmail account can now do so for $15 a year. The University will send renewal notices to the account holders whenever there is a month of use left for the service.

“Essentially, the Alumni Office wanted to extend services to our alumni because it allows us to stay better connected to them. It is also going to be a part of our continued effort to build an e-communication network,” said Stephen Hazzard, Development Director of Information Sciences.

Alumni who use this service are given the same rights and privileges regarding their account as students who attend classes. This includes 55 megabytes of space and the protection of anti-spam and anti-virus software. The school also provides “Webmail Help,” for students and alumni who are experiencing complications using the account.

The service will not, however, include additional utilities such as Blackboard or My Backpack for alumni.

The University also will routinely send out announcements geared to alumni, such as contribution requests, though the account holders are given the choice not to accept them.

As with all TUmail accounts, the University promises not to sell or supply any e-mail account or personal information to vendors that are not affiliated with the University. The University is still able to provide this information to vendors that are affiliated with the school.

Computer Services representatives say they are offering this service to students as a way to ease into the business world and as a way to continue its contact with alumni.

Students may continue to use the account as long as they wish.

Alumni who wish to begin this service can do so at https://tumail.temple.edu or by calling Computer Services at (215) 204-8000.

Emily Catalano can be reached at catalano@temple.edu.