Two officers injured in narcotics arrest

Two Philadelphia Police officers were injured during a traffic stop when one of the vehicle’s passengers made an attempt to run shortly after discarding narcotics in his possession. The stop, made at 11th and Berks

Two Philadelphia Police officers were injured during a traffic stop when one of the vehicle’s passengers made an attempt to run shortly after discarding narcotics in his possession.

The stop, made at 11th and Berks streets off Temple’s Main Campus, began at 13th and Girard over a moving violation.

Following the stop, a second passenger riding in the backseat of the vehicle wrestled with police officers after attempting to discard the narcotics he had in his possession. Neither of the arresting officers received serious injuries.

Police said the offender was in possession of heroin and a street drug known as “pancakes and syrup,” a drug made from a combination of Xanax and codeine-based cough medicine, according to a 2007 Philadelphia Weekly article.

Chris Weiler, a groundskeeper at Temple, was working in front of Gladfelter Hall at around 2:15 p.m., where he observed two police officers wrestling with a man beside a black Buick.

The offender made an unsuccessful attempt to reach for the sidearm of one of the officers. Within minutes after the struggle, additional units arrived at the scene, totaling more than 20 vehicles.

Police raised their suspicions when they did not see any limo tags. Officials said one possible scenario is that the driver of the vehicle was been paid off by the other passenger.

After discovering the passenger in the backseat, officers became suspicious when they could not identify any limo tags, police said.

Kylee Messner and Kriston Bethel can be reached at TempleNews@gmail.com.