Under the Radar

There’s no reason not to celebrate Earth Day and Arbor Day this year. Even if you’re unable to attend events during the week, the activities extend to the weekend.

WEDNESDAY, April 22

Arbor Day of Service Celebration
The Woodlands
4000 Woodland Ave.
free, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
215-386-2181
www.woodlandsphila.org

The Woodlands is known for being a national historic landmark for its architecture – including the mansion, carriage house, stable and the garden landscape. The land was owned by the famous Philadelphia lawyer Andrew Hamilton, who was an active botanist. He owned 10,000 species of plants and frequently traded with neighbors the Bartram family, who are responsible for the nearby Bartram’s Garden. This Arbor Day, which isn’t until Friday, join naturalists, volunteers and tree lovers as 70 certified arborists cut and prune the arboretum.

SATURDAY, April 25

Morris Arboretum Celebrates Arbor Day
Morris Arboretum
100 Northwestern Ave.
free, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
215-247-5777
www.business-services.upenn.edu

Just in case you can’t make it to the Woodlands, the University of Pennsylvania is offering its own Arbor Day activities. Witness renowned artist Patrick Dougherty create abstract sculptures with hundreds of sticks and saplings, followed by a tree-planting demonstration, which will start at 2 p.m. Arborists will be also on hand for tree climbing activities that will demonstrate the proper way to climb a tree.

SATURDAY, April 25

Earth Day Volunteer Cleanup
John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
TerraMar Adventures
8601 Lindbergh Blvd.
free, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
484-716-8331
www.terramaradventures.com

The TerraMar Adventure organization is teaming up with the Fairmount Park Commission, the Wissahickon Restoration Volunteers, the Philadelphia Rock Gym and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Commission for a day of service to the environment. The event has expanded to three sites: the Wissahickon Valley, where you will work with the FPC on projects such as trail reconstruction, the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum, where you will work with the U.S. FWS on projects aimed at marsh restoration, and the Ralph Stover State Park, where you will assist in efforts to preserve the many rocks used for climbing. Free Earth Day T-shirts and reusable grocery bags will be given to participants as complimentary gifts for their efforts. TerraMar recommends you wear comfortable clothing you can get dirty and that you come prepared for April showers – the show goes on rain or shine.

SATURDAY, April 25

Philadelphia Zoo
Party for the Planet
3400 W. Girard Ave.
April 25 – April 26
free with museum admission,
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
215-243-1100
www.philadelphiazoo.org

It’s a party for the planet, and everyone’s invited! If you missed out on Earth Day activities Wednesday, make up for it at the Philadelphia Zoo this weekend. It will have games, crafts, music and information from environmental organizations in the tri-state area. Don’t forget to bring your old sneakers, cell phones, paper and plastic bottles for recycling!

Sherri Hospedales can be reached at sherri.hospedales@temple.edu.