Under the Radar

Philly Mini Golf / Weeklong  / Franklin Square, between 6th and 7th streets/ 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. / $8 / www.phillyfunguide.com/event/detail/57963/Philly_Mini_Golf This is perfect for those with a passion for mini golf, or even

Philly Mini Golf / Weeklong  / Franklin Square, between 6th and 7th streets/

10 a.m. – 6 p.m. / $8 / www.phillyfunguide.com/event/detail/57963/Philly_Mini_Golf

This is perfect for those with a passion for mini golf, or even just looking for a cute date idea. As the weather is still nice, use this as an excuse to go outside, visit a park and enjoy the nicest days of fall while you still can at the only golf course in Center City. Running daily, weather permitting, the Philly-oriented, 18-hole golf course lets visitors play mini golf and score a hole-in-one through replicas of Philly icons such as the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, Elfreth’s Alley, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, LOVE Park, Chinatown Friendship Gate, the Liberty Bell and more. The golf course even includes sections devoted to various Philly sports teams and musicians. If you want to relive a little more of your childhood, Franklin Square also has a running carousel for $2.50 a ride.

Voice of This Generation / Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. and Sept. 18 at 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. / First Unitarian Church / 2125 Chestnut St., Philadelphia / $10 donation suggested /
www.voiceofthisgen.com

There’s never been a concert quite like this. This casual BYOB event features seven young Philly composers, including two University of Pennsylvania graduate students working on their doctorate for composition, performing their work for a “re-inventing the concert experience.”  The talented musicians have gathered nationwide attention from those such as Rachel Maddow and The Wall Street Journal. Although this type of music rarely sees an updated side, the event’s performer, Tony Solitro, said in a press release, “Why not strip away the formal dress and stuffy atmosphere, and focus on hearing vibrant and communicative music surrounded by great friends?”

Rittenhouse Square Art Show / Sept. 16 11a.m. – 7p.m., Sept. 17 11a.m.-6p.m., Sept. 18 11a.m.-
5p.m. / Rittenhouse Square / Free / www.rittenhousesquareart.com/index.html

Are you looking for some artwork to brighten up your dreary apartment or dorm room? Or really just looking for a free day outside to window shop and people watch? The twice annual Rittenhouse Square art show–now in its 80th year–features work from more than 100 seasoned artists. The show will include countless different styles and themes including watercolor, mixed media, acrylic, oil painting, drawing, sculpture and printmaking. The show also features work from full-time art students attending art schools, colleges and universities in the Philadelphia region, and proves fun for both art lovers and casual enjoyers alike. And if you are an aspiring artist who is interested in participating in one of the more popular outdoor art shows in the country, the art show is still accepting applicants at $35 an application and $400 a booth.

Restaurant Week / 2125 Chestnut St., Philadelphia / Sept 12-16, and Sept. 18-23 /
www.centercityphila.org/life/RestaurantWeek.php

Want to enjoy some of the best and most expensive Philly food for a (sort of) reasonable price? You’re in luck, as this week is Center City’s Restaurant Week. For those new to the annual event, more than 100 restaurants participate, offering the normal steeply priced three-course lunch and dinners for $20 and $35 each, respectively. It is suggested to make reservations beforehand as restaurants fill up quickly. Food styles are as diverse as African, Italian, Brazilian and Contemporary American. Why not take the chance at trying something new while you can actually afford it? Some restaurants have irregular hours and others are lunch only, so be sure to check restaurant websites or call in advance.

Danielle Miess can be reached at danielle.miess@temple.edu.