Under the radar

“Art after 5” Halloween Dance Party Oct. 28 5 p.m. – 8:45 p.m. Students $12, senior citizens $14, adults $16, 12 and under are free Philadelphia Museum of Art, 26th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway

“Art after 5” Halloween Dance Party

Oct. 28

5 p.m. – 8:45 p.m.

Students $12, senior citizens $14, adults $16, 12 and under are free

Philadelphia Museum of Art, 26th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway

The Philadelphia Museum of Art becomes haunted during this one night event. “Art after 5” presents a Halloween themed night full of dancing. Be ready to see werewolves waltz, monsters moonwalk, trolls trot and zombies stumble around to the music of Brian Carpenter’s Ghost Train Orchestra who is performing spooky sounds from the ‘20s, ‘30s and ‘40s. Other eerie music will be played such as, “voodoo music,” ancient basement records and Harlem and Chicago jazz bands. Dress in your most frightening attire to take a spooky art tour and have your  tarot cards read. Food is provided but arrive early as it is first-come-first-serve.

The Underground Rebel Bingo Club-Zombie Edition

Oct. 28

9 p.m. – 2 a.m.

Tickets range from $5-$15 depending on the time and place of purchase

Theatre of the Living Arts on South Street

What happens when you mix zombies, beer and bingo? Everyone wins at this secret organization’s event. This is the fourth time the Underground Rebel Bingo Club will be making its way to Philly and they are coming with droves of dead people. The event started when a group of people found a bingo set in the basement of a church. Already wasted, they started to play and made up their own rules, hence Rebel Bingo. In between calling numbers, there’s a dance party, eardrum blasting music, body painting and tons of booze. This time around make sure to die before going or the other zombies will be happy to help you out. We’re not sure if anyone actually wins at bingo at this event, but it’s definitely not your grandma’s game of bingo.

Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals

Now through Oct. 29

Mon.-Fri., 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Free

Leonard Pearlstein Gallery, Nesbitt Hall 3215 Market Street

Ever wanted to know what the inside of an asylum looks like without being admitted to one? Now is your chance to see Christopher Payne’s photographs. From 2002 to 2008, Payne photographed 70 closed mental institutions. Leonard Pearlstein Gallery is showing 22 of his images. His goal is to show the notable side of asylums, the opposite of the creepy aspect the public is used to seeing in the media. The photographs will feature the asylums as self-sustained communities that were originally considered grounds of civic pride and places to heal, even though we know how that story ends.

Stephen Rose can be reached at stephen.m.rose@temple.edu.