Under the Radar: Jan. 18

Restaurant Week Jan. 16-21 & 23-28 Various Center City Restaurants www.centercityphila.org/life/RWRestaurants.php Restaurant Week allows people with slim budgets the opportunity to experience fine dining at restaurants one may not be able to regularly afford, especially

Restaurant Week
Jan. 16-21 & 23-28
Various Center City Restaurants
www.centercityphila.org/life/RWRestaurants.php

Restaurant Week allows people with slim budgets the opportunity to experience fine dining at restaurants one may not be able to regularly afford, especially college students. Restaurants in Center City offer an affordable three-course lunch for $20 or dinner for $35. This event has become so popular the week has expanded into two, five-day periods. One can find a list of the participating restaurants and their locations on the event’s website. There’s also a map of all of the participants, making it easy to visit the desired restaurants during these 10 days. Not all restaurants offer lunch, so see the restaurant’s information to view its menu beforehand.

Battle of the Bios
Jan. 21
6 p.m.
Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, 1020 South St.
$10
www.phillymagicgardens.org

One Book One Philadelphia is celebrating its ninth year as Philadelphia’s largest book club. In collaboration with its 2011 program and in commemoration of its current book of choice, “War Dances” by Sherman Alexie, the Magic Gardens is hosting a short story contest. Twenty local writers and performers will be given the chance to showcase their own autobiographical work and compete for three prizes, $100 being the ultimate reward. For $10 get local beer (for the 21-and-up crowd), along with some light refreshments and free reign of the gardens and its new exhibition, Remnant’s of a City: Leroy Johnson’s Philadelphia.

Delusions in Toyland: Music & Mosaics Concert
Saturday, Jan. 22
7 p.m.
$7 students, $10 adults
www.phillymagicgardens.org

The first concert in Magic Gardens’ Music and Mosaics Concert Series will feature the indie band Cuddle Magic, the electronic duo of Color is Luxury and the toy pianist Phyllis Chen. This event is held in the garden’s eccentrically decorated basement and will be BYOB. Cuddle Magic is an experimental and boundary-pushing indie band, inspired by different cultures and sounds. Chen’s performance on the toy piano has been described as creepy and inventive and it’s as eccentric as music can be. Some of her pieces include the use of bowls, a music box and the sound of an egg frying. Color is Luxury is an improvisational pair, playing self-invented and commercial electronic instruments. Listening to these performances will be an unforgettable experience.

Milonga El Arabesco
Saturday, Jan. 22
8:30 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Symmetry Dance Wellness, 1923 Chestnut St., 2nd Floor
$12, $10 Students
philadelphiatangoschool.com/milonga.html

Milonga el Arabesco roughly translates to an all-night tango party. The Philadelphia Tango School hosts Milongas all the time, as it’s a great way to get students and the community involved in tango dancing. This event will feature live, authentic music. The more people who go, the better. The $12 for admission includes a one-hour class at 8:30 p.m. for everyone at any level. Show off your newly discovered tango skills at the next Zumba class at the IBC Student Recreation Center.

Cabin Fever Reliever
Sunday, Jan. 23
1-5 p.m.
Blue Cross RiverRink, Penn’s Landing – Columbus Blvd at Market Street
Free

What’s better than outdoor ice skating in the winter? Outdoor ice skating in a tropical paradise in the winter. A steel-drum band welcomes you to the Caribbean-themed afternoon at the RiverRink. Island-themed movies such as “Finding Nemo” and “Blue Hawaii” will be screened on a giant wall inside the pavilion. Get “leid” while receiving complimentary hula lessons. Giveaways to local restaurants and attractions will be offered, so get there early to increase your chances of winning. Enjoy a mini-escape to an island paradise without the expense or hassle.

-Nichole Baldino