Under the Radar: Led Zeppelin 2, Rock Opera, Dead Sea Scrolls, Taste Of NoLibs

Led Zeppelin 2, Rock Opera, Dead Sea Scrolls, Taste Of Northern Liberties

Led Zeppelin 2
Sept. 11
8:30 P.M.
+21
$10-$12
THE BLOCKLEY, 38th and Chestnut streets

Sequels are rarely as good as the original, and with tribute bands, that rule is generally doubled. However, surely even the band itself would be the first to admit that isn’t the point. You see tribute bands because sometimes it’s nice to hear those songs you’ve heard one million times via speakers played blisteringly close to your face as exactly reconstructed as possible. Led Zeppelin 2 will surely play such radio favorites as “Good Times, Bad Times,” “Black Dog,” and yes, “Stairway To Heaven.” While steadily building themselves up the ladder of Led Zeppelin tribute bands, Led Zeppelin 2 has focused solely on delivering to fans a replica of what a typical Led Zeppelin show would have sounded like, assuming said fans were alive four decades ago. Similar in a way that the Dark Star Orchestra recreates Grateful Dead shows, the four Chicagoans that make up Led Zeppelin 2 study old bootlegs of their namesake to further drive home the point that Led Zeppelin is a band that people like. Led Zeppelin 2 is currently on tour across the country, and the show at the Blockley will feature no openers, presumably because an Iron Butterfly tribute act could not be found in time.

Ladies & Gentlemen present: Rock Opera
Sept. 13
8–9 P.M.
$15
First Unitarian Church, 2125 Chestnut St.

As you might have heard, the Philly Fringe Festival is firing on all cylinders currently. One of the more interesting performances in a festival, Ladies & Gentlemen Improv will be creating large scale rock operas on the fly. Their flyer promises that, “every note, every lyric, every idea, [will be] completely made up, and totally rocked out.” Calling equally upon rock opera purveyors such as Pete Townshend and improv auteur like the Upright Citizen’s Brigade, Ladies & Gentlemen will be offering up comedy that you might sing and learn the words to before the performers themselves. This is the group’s third show, following “Rodgers and Hammerstein Are Dead” and “A Very Special L&G Christmas Special.” The show will also be performed Friday, Sept. 14 and Sunday, Sept. 15 at the same location.

Dead Sea Scrolls Lecture: The Archeology of Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls
Sept. 13
7:30 P.M.–8:30 P.M.
$5
The Franklin Institute
20th Street & Benjamin Franklin Parkway

History lesson: In 1947, an undiscovered cave was found containing hundreds of pieces of parchment. These papers were later preserved, studied and named the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Franklin Institute is currently holding an exhibit featuring 20 scrolls, including four scrolls never displayed to the public. Along with the scrolls themselves, other features, such as artifacts from the City of David and many more, are also out for the viewing public. On Sept. 13, Dr. Jodi Magness will be stopping by to hold a lecture on the exhibit. Magness, who is a Kenan Distinguished Professor for Teaching Excellence in Early Judaism from the University of North Carolina, will flesh out the Scrolls’ history and field questions. The Institute suggests patrons bring sweatshirts or coats to the exhibit due to the cool temperatures the Dead Sea Scrolls call for.

Taste Of Northern Liberties
Saturdays and Sundays
1:30 P.M.–4:30 P.M.
$44
Northern Liberties

Food tours, like food itself, are usually so good that you never want them to end. Here is a prime example. The tour website promises stops at five different NoLibs eateries in two and a half hours while also stating that walks will be short and not punishing. The food tastings range from homemade jalapeno peppers to hushpuppies and many tastes in between. It will also serve as something of a close-up history tour for those not too familiar with the surrounding areas, as guides will be providing history on the architecture and other longstanding monuments. The tour prides itself on its small size, making sure that each person gets their appetites far more than whetted. Though the title suggests only a taste, the quench for Northern Liberties cuisine will surely be met after this particular foodie tour.