Under The Radar: Warning!, Philly Furniture Show, Game Night, Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival

Under the Radar for the week of Tuesday, April 2, 2013.

2013 Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival
Monday, April 1 – Thursday,  April 4 / Noon
1625 Chestnut St. / Rotunda at Liberty Place / Center City / Free

Instead of limiting your Asian appreciation to 3 a.m. egg rolls from China House, head into the city for the authentic Asian experience.

And no, I’m not talking about Chinatown.

Celebrate Japanese Culture Week inside the Shops at Liberty Place.

While you’re munching on lunch in the food court, broaden your international horizons at the Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival.

Presented by the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia, the festival features daily activities such as origami, calligraphy, Japanese paper doll making and ikebana, which is the art of flower arrangement.

Assistant Director Aaron Dilliplane urges students to take advantage of the educational event.

“This is the best way to experience Japanese culture without a 14-hour plane ride,” Dilliplane said. “It’s also significantly less expensive. We have a ton of fun demonstrations planned for the community.”

If you aren’t sold, maybe you’ll trust your fellow Owls.

Temple’s Asian Students’ Association has volunteered over the years to guide participants through the intricate art processes.

“The TUASA has contributed up to 45 helpers in the past, which certainly makes a difference for the staff as well as the attendees,” Dilliplane said. “We take good care of our people.”

If you want to try on a kimono, arrive early tomorrow, April 3.

Only a few lucky visitors will be allowed to don the garment.

And yes, guys can, too.

No matter how shabby your artwork appears, you’ll be able to bring home your keepsakes and hang them on the refrigerator.

The JASGP established this gala to honor the Land of the Rising Sun and enlighten Philadelphians on its tradition.

The free demonstrations are designed to whet your appetite for the main event of the festival, Sakura Sunday.

On April 14, Fairmount Park’s Horticulture Center will host a day-long Japanese jubilee consisting of martial arts, dance performances and Harajuku fashion.

Messages will be sent to victims of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Northeast Japan.

Dilliplane is proud of his organization and hopes that everyone who comes out will take away something valuable.

“It is a really great time for people to learn and enjoy the Japanese culture,” Dilliplane said. “Expect some giveaways and a couple other surprises.”

If you want to aid in the festival’s preparation or execution, check out subarucherryblossom.org/volunteer.

For the complete listings of all festival events, the calendar can be found at subarucherryblossom.org/events/calendar.

Game Night
Friday, April 5 / 5 p.m.
315 Chestnut St. / Chemical Heritage Foundation / Old City / Free

Even if you agree with Billy Madison that chlorophyll is bore-ophyll, give chemistry another shot at game night.

As part of Philadelphia’s First Friday program of offering free activities to the public each month, the Chemical Heritage Foundation will transform its museum into a funhouse.

History and science-themed board games, scavenger hunts and other fun activities are scheduled.

Philadelphia Invitational Furniture Show
Saturday, April 6-Sunday, April 7 / 10 a.m.
22 S. 23rd St. / 23rd Street Armory / $12

While your dorm room beanbag chair is no doubt “totally rad,” discover artisan quality furnishings and interior design at the Invitational Furniture Show.

For 19 years, the most recognized furniture craftsmen have been exhibiting their state-of-the-art pieces at Philly’s premiere home design event.

Check out rugs, beds, lamps, clocks and much more, but don’t forget to bring your checkbook if you’re interested in some new upholstery.

“WARNING!” Opening Reception
Friday, April 5 / 7-11 p.m.
30 S. 2nd. St. / Body Graphics Portside Parlor and Art Gallery / Free

Not brave enough to get inked or pierced, but love the vibe of a tattoo shop? Give yourself an excuse to check one out at the opening reception of “WARNING,” an art show featuring the work of Alice White and Joy LessPosh. Forget the canvas – the show’s mixed media painting are on pieces of cut wood and will be available for purchase. If you miss the opening reception, don’t fret –  the show will run through May 30.

– John Corrigan