Ungerleider’s Nader Article

My article is definitely more than 150 words, but the article I am responding to is also. So I would appreciate it if the editing could be fairly minimal, if at all. Thanks. Don’t Be

My article is definitely more than 150 words, but the article I am responding to is also. So I would appreciate it if the editing could be fairly minimal, if at all. Thanks.

Don’t Be Afraid to Dissent this April 27
Jim Kennedy, Freshman, History Major
I agree with Neal Ungerleider that now is not the time to vote for Ralph Nader. But his zealous attacks on Nader’s issues and ideas are misplaced.

Although Nader’s perspective is radical for a politician, it is not outside of the mainstream of what many ordinary citizens think.

Take the death penalty. Anti-death penalty activism is portrayed in Ungerleider’s article as extremist and unrealistic. But the most prominent abolitionist, George Ryan, is a Republican, not a “lunatic leftist”. In truth, a minority–only 49%–supports executing people if life sentences are manditory. And even bigger chunk–66%–supports a moritorium from capital punishment. If Congress were in any way representive of the public in its actions, it would not only pass a moratorium, but would have a margin big enough to override executive veto. Like many of Nader’s issues, his death penalty stance is more moderate upon inspection than on face value.

Bush must go. But one can support the Democrats without having to always denounce every dissent from the party line.

The best voice for dissent is Dennis Kucinich, not Ralph Nader. While John Kerry almost certainly has the nomination, Temple students are not without a voice this primary. A strong showing for Kucinich will send a message that Democrats still care about progressive issues–no matter who the nominee is. Visit the Kucinich website for more information (www.kucinich.us). And get out and vote!