University housing defaced by carving of offensive symbol

A swastika was recently found carved into a wall outside of an apartment in Oxford Village. The swastika was found just after classes ended for the fall semester. Alison Don, a community assistant at Oxford

A swastika was recently found carved into a wall outside of an apartment in Oxford Village. The swastika was found just after classes ended for the fall semester.

Alison Don, a community assistant at Oxford Village, located at 15th Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue, found the swastika while posting notices for residents. She spotted the carving outside of apartment 3D East.

“I didn’t expect anything like that,” Don said. “I thought we’d all grown up from this.”

The apartments were mostly vacant at the time the swastika was found.

“Almost everyone was gone for vacation so I don’t know who could have done it,” Don said.

Oxford Village is privately managed by the Ambling Management Company. The housing facility is on the perimeter of Main Campus. It was built in the spring of 2004 as additional housing for Temple students, mainly for upperclassmen.

Several students and residents expressed their anger over the incident.

“What’s with people? It’s crazy that something like this is still happening now,” said Maisa Moniz, 20.

Wilfrance Pouyes, 21, said he was not surprised by the act of vandalism.

“Racism still exists. Is that really a shock? I’m not shocked at all that they did this,” Pouyes said.

The property manager who reported the incident to campus police could not be reached for comment. The Oxford Village staff and campus police are still investigating the matter.

Dafney Tales can be reached at dafneyt@temple.edu.