Valentine’s Day can be romantic yet unique

Valentine’s Day is for the romantic at heart, and for anyone in love who wants and needs to pour his or her affection over another. Every year that holiday comes around when you ask, “Gee,

Valentine’s Day is for the romantic at heart, and for anyone in love who wants and needs to pour his or her affection over another. Every year that holiday comes around when you ask, “Gee, what can I do for Valentine’s Day?” You don’t have to just show up expectantly with flowers, go out to eat, and then enjoy each other’s company until the night comes to an end. To make an impression this year, why not take advantage of the city? Whether you’re ready to put out hundreds of dollars or just a few bucks, Philadelphia has tons to offer on this special day.

Carriage Rides

You will feel like the most romantic couple in the city when you’re in your own horse-drawn carriage traveling through Old City. The cost is hefty – $70 an hour in the evenings – but a romantic tour through the historical district might be worth it. Want to add a cozy dinner to the night? Go to City Tavern, where you can make a reservation for under $100 a person, which includes a three-course meal and a carriage ride. For the carriage ride, go to Sixth and Chestnut streets for afternoon rides or Second and South streets for evening rides.

The Orchestra

Play with the upper crust of Philly when you surprise your loved one with a night at the symphony. The Philadelphia Orchestra is putting on a Valentine’s Day concert at the Kimmel Center for Performing Arts at 8 p.m. What fun it would be to go out in style and have a night of music and culture!

Ice Skating

Want to get close to your date? Well, you can’t get any closer than leaning on one another for support when you’re both trying to stay upright on the ice at the Blue Cross RiverRink on Columbus Boulevard. Skate in the open-air rink in observance of St. Valentine. With parking only $6 and skate rental only $3, this could be the most fun you’ve had since you were thirteen for less than $10.

Romantic Stroll

For those who think Valentine’s Day merit shouldn’t be based on the amount of money spent, Philadelphia has some of the most romantic spots. A walk along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway from the base of the Love Statue to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, will take you past some of the best art and museums in the world. If you like this walking theme, a stroll along Kelly Drive could also be a special experience. From the art museum you can walk for up to four miles to the Falls Bridge passing the Waterworks, Boathouse Row, Laurel Hill Cemetery and the Rock Garden. Who knew Valentine’s Day could be a great workout?

Variety Show

There is even a love theme for you theater enthusiasts. Love in all its variations is the theme of the Triangle Theater’s Valentine’s Day Cabaret, “St. Valentine’s Day Live!” This cabaret variety show will include music, theater, dance and comedy with scenes and monologues by the area’s top up-and-coming actors. This show can be seen Feb. 11, 12 and 14 at 8 p.m., or a matinee at 3 p.m. on Feb 13. The cost of this unconventional Valentine’s Day experience is only $25 and includes hors d’oeuvres and beverages.

In an article from CNN.com, The National Retail Federation 2005 Valentine’s Day Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey found that this year Valentine’s Day will be spent very traditionally. Many consumers will be sticking to the tried-and-true flowers, candy, and dining out. Two-thirds of consumers will buy greeting cards, half of consumers will buy candy, and more than half of men plan to buy flowers, and one in five plan to purchase jewelry for Valentine’s Day.

Don’t add to these statistics. Do something different and make this Valentine’s Day special. Take advantage of the city and make it a night to remember.

Laura Johnston can be reached at cox@temple.edu.