Vocalist sings her city faves

Aside from fronting a funk band, Sam Rise Roberson knows how to get down.

Samantha Rise Roberson does it all. She’s a senior vocal performance and business major, a piano and vocal teacher at the Music Workshop and a Recording Academy student representative who helps organize events like studio tours and meet-and-greets with artists like John Legend and Phoenix for college students. Plus, she’s the sultry lead singer of one of Philly’s biggest up-and-coming bands, the jazzy, funky Erronious Krunk.anna eat drink shop play

The band’s saxophonist, Temple junior Tal Shtuhl, is currently studying abroad in Amsterdam, but that hasn’t slowed down the remaining four members. They’ve added percussionist Chuck Brown to the mix and continued their slow takeover of the city’s jazz clubs with recent electrifying performances at Ortlieb’s Jazz Haus and other venues.

“Erronious Krunk is sort of a Frankenstein of musical influences and improvisation,” Roberson said. “If you took James Brown’s legs, Jimi Hendrix’s Arms, Jim Black’s torso and Roberta Flack’s head, or hair, at least, you’d probably have a pretty accurate representation of Erronious Krunk, at least musically.”
Roberson, a native of Wauwatosa, Wis., now lives in West Philly, which she loves for its “unique mash-up of culture and experience.” In spite of her many activities, she still finds time to take advantage of Philly’s many opportunities and possibilities.

“There’s never a dull moment in this city,” she said. “You can always find what you’re looking for, good food, great music, trouble to get into. And you’re guaranteed an adventure you didn’t expect. It’s definitely not a city for the faint of heart, and maybe that’s why I like it so much.”

Eat

Oh, this is a tough one. As it stands, Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant is certainly a winner right now. The food is incredible, the price is right, and it’s a cool hang. Another great feature of Abyssinia is Fiume. It’s a small bar above the restaurant that has great beer and live local music weekly. Be sure to check out the bluegrass on Thursdays.

Drink

This is another tough one. Most of my drinking now goes on in sports bars, with the [Major League Baseball] playoffs and football season. Kavanaugh’s on 40th and Sansom streets is a great West Philly sports bar. They let me yell at all 15 big screens. Otherwise, I love the P.O.P.E. (Pub on Passyunk East) in South Philly, for the same reason.

Shop

Wilbur Vintage on Fabric Row in Queen Village is phenomenal. It used to be in the basement of the Antiquitarian’s Delight, and it’s definitely a Philly gem. It has a great selection of vintage and designer clothing and accessories for a fraction of most vintage specialty shops in the city. Remember, I tipped you off, so if you see a magazine clutch, I get first dibs.

Play

North Bowl in Northern Liberties is quickly becoming my favorite hang. If you haven’t been there yet, I’d recommend it. Good beer, cheap bowling, tater tots, and let’s not forget about the faux mustache vending machine. I can bring out my inner hipster and inner Wisconsonite all at once!

Anna Hyclak can be reached at anna.hyclak@temple.edu.