Volleyball defeats Cincinnati

The team will head on the road for the next five matches.

Temple (16-7, 7-4) won three games to one versus Cincinnati (1-24, 1-10) on Sunday afternoon by scores of 25-20, 23-25, 25-19 and 25-20.

Four players recorded 10 or more kills. Freshman Caroline Grattan led all players with 17 kills to tie her season high and added 12 digs to complete her second double-double of the season.

“This was a really important win for us”, coach Bakeer Ganes said. “Cincinnati, despite their record, is not an easy match-up against us. They play at a different pace then us and are very physical and give it their all every time we see them play.”

Sophomore Alyssa Drachslin led the Owls with 17 digs. Senior Gabriella Matautia also recorded a double-double with 12 kills to go with 12 digs. Junior Jennifer Iacobini got 11 kills, one error, eight digs and three aces.

“The game went really well,” Grattan said. “Coach was only focusing on what we had to do to break our losing streak and not focus on them. It was such a big confidence boost today and you could tell it really pumped our team up for the rest of the season.”

“Caroline did awesome at the net,” Ganes said. “She struggled a little with servicing but that’s what happen when you are a freshman. All in all, she did really well today, I am so proud of her this season.”

Junior Tiffany Connatser was back at her setting position today after a long absence from getting into game action.

“Tiffany did a good job,” Ganes said. “It’s not easy to come back and play like she did today. She’s a very hard worker and I think she did an awesome job today as our setter.”

The Owls will play their next five matches on the road, starting with an 8 p.m. contest at Memphis on Friday, Nov. 8.

Rich Fogel can be reached at rich.fogel@temple.edu.