Volleyball dives into A-10 season

The Temple women’s volleyball team has begun its campaign to take over the Atlantic 10 Conference with two conference wins under its belt. Their first conference win came against La Salle with scores of 30-26,

The Temple women’s volleyball team has begun its campaign to take over the Atlantic 10 Conference with two conference wins under its belt.

Their first conference win came against La Salle with scores of 30-26, 30-26 and 30-22.

This past week, the Owls faced Fordham on Friday and Rhode Island on Saturday. The Owls defeated URI three games to one and came back from a two-game deficit to challengeFordham.

“It’s too early to say how the rest of the season will go—right now we have too many unforced errors,” coach Bob Bertucci said.

“Our losses have been very close, and usually go to five games. We could have won them.”

Coach Bertucci feels that as far as the players go, they need to concentrate on the team as a whole.

“We have some people that any chance they can get, take a break and it’s a little disturbing,” Bertucci said.

“A poor team can stay in the game with us so it’s got to be a team effort.”

Two standouts from the past few games have been juniors Yamit Haba and Xu Yun. Haba, who leads the Owls with 264 digs, feels the team is working better than last year.

“We lost the A-10 finals last year so we are determined to win this year,” Haba said.

“My concerns are to win, play good and have fun.”

Yun has been as equally important as Haba this early in the season. Yun leads the team in kills with 252 and also feels that the team is stronger then last year.

When asked how she felt about her performance this season, she said, “I’m OK. But one player doing good is not enough. Everybody has to play good.”

Yun has the right idea for a team in search of another winning season.

Saudia Mitchell can be reached at Saudrae@hotmail.com.