Volleyball runners up in A-10 tournament

Temple women’s volleyball came one match short of stealing the Atlantic 10 tournament title. After upsetting regular season champion Dayton, 3-1 in the opening round of the tournament, the Owls fell to Xavier 3-0 in

Temple women’s volleyball came one match short of stealing the Atlantic 10 tournament title.

After upsetting regular season champion Dayton, 3-1 in the opening round of the tournament, the Owls fell to Xavier 3-0 in the final.

In the championship game against Xavier, the Owls were lead by A-10 all-conference and all- championship team sophomore Yun Xu who had 14 kills and eight digs.

Sophomore Charity Hill was also named to the all-championship team. She added eight kills and three digs. Sophomore Margaret Majewska also played well and had 12 kills.

Xavier had been solid throughout the season and gave the Owls some tough competition during the regular season. Xavier was led by A-10 Rookie of the Year Molly Martin who had 44 assists but was out-matched across the net from junior setter Solana Lee who posted 48 assists.

Xavier utilized their blockers and controlled the net with 16 blocks.

In the opening round, the Owls surprised Dayton in front of their own crowd in a match that was close for the most part.

Xu led the attack with 24 kills and 18 blocks while A-10 All Conference sophomore Yamit Haba had 14 kills and 16 digs. Lee had a phenomenal 59 assists, four kills and four digs while Hill added 13 kills and six blocks.

Despite the slumps and road woes this season, the team still believed they could make it to the championship game. The win against Dayton was the team’s best victory of the season. They lost in both regular season matches but rolled into Datyon, OH and showed they belonged in the title match.

Next season should hold higher expectations as the Owls only lose senior Christine Happel. Everyone else will be back and should be hungrier.

Temple concludes its season against American University on Friday.

Notes:

All-Conference team>/b>

Sophomore outside hitters Yamit Haba and Yun Xu were named to the Atlantic 10 all-conference team at the A-10 Volleyball Championship banquet in Dayton, OH.

Xu was the teams’ only A-10 Conference Player of the Week winner. Haba was named to the all-rookie team last year. Both were consistent throughout the season and were due for breakout years.

Haba ranks second in the conference in both kills (210) and digs (236) along with 31 blocks and 20 service aces. She also led the team in kills and digs.

Xu compiled 266 kills, 226 digs and 21 blocks in 74 games played this season. She is ranked sixth in the conference in kills and eighth for digs.