VOLLEYBALL’S SEASON APPROACHES CRUCIAL STRETCH

Temple volleyball extended its winning streak to 10 straight games last week with a home win over the Duquesne Dukes three games to one. The game scores were 13-15, 15-2, 15-8 and 15-8. The Owls

Temple volleyball extended its winning streak to 10 straight games last week with a home win over the Duquesne Dukes three games to one.

The game scores were 13-15, 15-2, 15-8 and 15-8.

The Owls dropped the first set of the match for the fourth straight game, but they continue to rely on their experienced veterans to carry them to victory.

Seniors Alma Kovaci and Brandy Best collected 17 and 15 kills respectively for the Owls, and senior setter Teresa Schumacher registered 41 assists.

Sherene Lemonias led the Dukes (12-11, 3-7 in Atlantic 10) with 10 kills and 20 digs, and Sarah Brown led the game with 47 assists.

The victory keeps the Owls (13-6, 9-0) in sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10, one game ahead of George Washington (16-4, 8-1).

The Owls’ next matches will have a tournament feel as Temple faces three of the conference’s toughest teams. They will travel to Ohio to play both the Dayton Flyers on Friday, and then the Xavier Musketeers on Saturday.

As the host team for this year’s championship, the Flyers (14-8, 6-4) have played with a purpose all season, while Xavier (16-6, 8-2) has won eight of its last nine matches since falling victim to Temple on Sept. 30.

The only team the Musketeers lost to in that stretch was the George Washington Colonials, who are schedule to visit McGonigal Hall this Tuesday in a rematch of September’s five-game marathon.

The GW match is slated for 7 p.m. on Tuesday .