Web only: Flavor Wear has a style all its own

Colar Sydney, a remarkable fashion designer, discusses the creation and message behind his clothing line. Since, Sydney’s establishment of Flavor Wear in January 1997 in California, the apparel has been gradually appearing in stores nationwide

Colar Sydney, a remarkable fashion designer, discusses the creation and message behind his clothing line. Since, Sydney’s establishment of Flavor Wear in January 1997 in California, the apparel has been gradually appearing in stores nationwide with the help of Craig McCollum.

Flavor Wear apparel is different from other clothing lines because of the unique message that it sends to consumers.

Oftentimes, when consumers shop for clothing, they are looking for affordable prices, designer names, and the style of the clothing, rather than the message behind the apparel. Flavor Wear does not only attract consumers because of its elegant style, but also because consumers are intrigued about the message.

“Flavor Wear was designed to bring one soul to all races … unity among red, yellow, brown, black and white,” said Sydney. The eye-catching represents loving all variations of races. Flavor Wear provides affordable unisex clothing for people of all ages while promoting unity among all groups.

Sydney started Flavor Wear after a car accident. Being thankful to God that he had survived, he believes that God sent him a message to help him prepare others for unity. “I used to model and was always into fashion, but I never thought of owning my own company. The clothing industry found me,” Sydney said.

Sydney was fascinated of how the Flavor Wear symbol started on a sheet of paper and is now being displayed on jackets, shirts and hats.

Sydney emphasizes the importance of unity by lecturing to youth throughout California schools, as a way to strengthen unity among future generations. Sydney explained, “Unity is strength. Divided we fall, and together we conquer.” Most clothing companies’ primary concern is bringing revenue from sales. However, Sydney claims he survives on faith. “I put money in the company and don’t expect money back,” he said.

McCollum, co-founder of Flavor Wear, promotes the clothing line on the East Coast. “Like never before, the time for Flavor is now. Flavor Wear is ahead of its time because since Sept. 11, the rest of the world has unknowingly declared that they are ready for unity,” McCollum said.

Furthermore, Flavor Wear is not just a clothing line to Sydney, but also a way of life. He lives his life by not only dedicating his time and money to people who are less fortunate but also by extending his heart. Proceeds from Flavor Wear sales have been donated to homeless shelters, canned food drives and breast cancer organizations.

Sydney’s goal is to spread a message throughout the United States for people to “grow with flavor.” He continued, “In order to succeed to the next level in this world you have to learn to get along with different cultures.”