Web only: Ours introduce timeless rock at TLA

Over the last several months the dark, flowing melodies of Ours have been streaming across the country, gaining recognition from fans in live performances (on tour with the likes of Pete Yorn), as well as

Over the last several months the dark, flowing melodies of Ours have been streaming across the country, gaining recognition from fans in live performances (on tour with the likes of Pete Yorn), as well as on the radio with their recent release, appropriately named Distorted Lullabies.

In almost 90 minutes of pure rock, Ours advocated a sound uniquely familiar, describable as the meeting of the soaring vocals of U2’s Bono and the daunting rock quality of Radiohead.

On Friday, Oct. 12, the five-some of Ours stepped onto the stage of South Street’s Theater of Living Arts and immediately proceeded to captivate and serenade the TLA’s modest audience. Opening with “Fallen Souls” the audience found out right away what Ours is all about. The haunting, driven power of this band could carry an arena without difficulty.

Vocalist/songwriter Jimmy Gnecco enchanted the audience with elevated vocals, utilizing his stellar falsetto range as the orchestration for a separate instrument altogether. Gnecco interlaces powerful screams with wonderfully intricate guitar lines creating a beautiful operatic rock sound that enthralled the audience for a thoroughly enjoyable show.

Thrilling the audience with the band’s first single from Distorted Lullabies, the radio hit “Sometimes,” as well as other recognizable tracks such as “Drowning,” “Dancing Alone” and new songs like “Flower Girls.” Ours sold a product that we the audience readily bought up – themselves. Every song holds elements of emotion, poetic and awesome in substance.

Ours carries a “staying power” that will allow them to remain long after others rise and fall in the music world.