WEB ONLY: Students sell themselves for a cause

The crowd went wild with excitement. The audience, compromised mostly of women, scrambled to get a hold of their bidding cards in order to make the next bid before it was too late at the

The crowd went wild with excitement.

The audience, compromised mostly of women, scrambled to get a hold of their bidding cards in order to make the next bid before it was too late at the first annual Charity Bachelor Auction. The event was held at the Draught Horse and benefited the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The competition was high and some bidders refused to budge as they tried hard to outbid others for some of Temple’s most eligible bachelors.

After it was all over, Marivette Torres had spent a whopping $715 for business student Justin Haynes and had the evening’s record bid. When asked why she bid so high, she simply said she wanted to win the bidding war.

Haynes, a former employee of the Draught Horse Restaurant, was shocked by Torres’ bid.

“Truthfully, I didn’t expect this to happen. I feel very flattered. I literally don’t know what to say,” Haynes said.

Due to the generosity of bidders such as Torres, the event’s organizers will present the foundation with a $2500 check.

“It all started as a joke,” said Sarah Kavicky, a Public Relations major and the main organizer of the event. “We wanted to do a Man of the Year contest (but) people felt more comfortable with a bachelor auction for charity.”

Kavicky felt that the foundation was among the finest charities and hoped to use the auction to help terminally ill children.

The goal of the auction was to raise enough money to make a single wish come true for a Make-A-Wish child. On average, the value of a single wish runs at least $5200.

More than 20 bachelors — who included law students and athletes — were invited to participate in the event, which was hosted by WYSP personality Melissa.

An estimated 300 bidders showed up — including Temple sororities and University of Pennsylvania students — to choose a date for an evening. Many came to meet other people and have fun, but most attended the event knowing that the auction was for a good cause.

During the event, bachelors were rounded up and each contestant made a quick and entertaining strut on stage before bidding was opened. Bidding started at $10 for the first round and increments of $5 were made thereafter.

While the male participants had a variety of reasons for attending, they all sought to bring a spirit of fun to the event.

“I was asked to do it and I thought why not. I like being [the] center of attention and would also like to meet new people before I leave Temple,” Cap Poklemba said, a 22-year-old Tourism and Hospitality Management major.

“My friends signed me up without my knowing and I obliged to it,” said senior Jeff Rugg, a 22-year-old Education major. “I just want to have a good time.”

The highest bidder not only received a date with their bachelor of choice, but received a donated gift certificate from local businesses which included The Academy of Social Dance, La Terrasse, Laff House, London Grill, The Manayunk Brew Pub, Spaghetti Warehouse, Striped Bass and White Dog Café.

While the evening was hailed as a success, not everyone walked out with a date.

“I brought $50 to the event hoping I could bid on some cute looking guy,” freshman Lydia Smith said. “I did see one guy that I liked but all the other girls wanted him too.”

Marena Ariffin can be reached at Mariffin@temple.edu