WEB REVIEW

As the fall semester starts up again and students return to classes, I’m sure that one of the stories you’re preparing to follow for the coming year is the outcome of the Napster lawsuit and

As the fall semester starts up again and students return to classes, I’m sure that one of the stories you’re preparing to follow for the coming year is the outcome of the Napster lawsuit and the future of music on the internet.

College students have been in the vanguard of those seeking downloadable music over the Internet and many have been avidly following the Napster trial related developments (over 73% of college students use Napster at least monthly, according to Industry Standard magazine).

HEARLIVE.com will offer to help you out via interviews, commentary, or whatever, in any way to cover the Internet music industry.

Possible story ideas include: bandwidth constraints on university servers and the ramifications of “acceptable use” policies for student storage space of multimedia content on university networks; how college bands are using the internet to help promote their music to wider audiences outside of their campuses; why Napster doesn’t do a good job of promoting new bands?; how the internet is changing the way tapers interact and trade their recordings; and alternatives to Napster when, and if, the courts shut the service down.

HEARLIVE.com offers free downloads of live concerts (no studio recordings) from some of the most popular bands on the college/club circuit. The site features over 50 of the best jambands and college stars including, The Disco Biscuits, Sector Nine, DJ Logic, Of a Revolution, Drifting Through, Emma Gibbs Band, and Hannaward Pass, just to name a few.