Web review of the week

There are only a few weeks of school left. If you haven’t started thinking about a summer internship, time is limited. An internship will help you gain real-world experience and land a job after graduation.

There are only a few weeks of school left. If you haven’t started thinking about a summer internship, time is limited.

An internship will help you gain real-world experience and land a job after graduation. At the very least it, will provide you with something to put on your resume besides a work-study job.

Internweb.com provides a free service that matches up students with employers looking for interns. Students can search an internship database by typing in their field of interest, the type of employer they would like to work for, and the area they’re looking in.

The internships in the database include positions for every major and field of study, such as accounting-finance, communications-media, health care, technology-consulting and science-environment. The employers range from non-profit organizations to retail and hospitality management companies.

Along with a brief description of the position, the listing tells you if the position is paid or not, how to apply and the address and telephone number of the company.

Unfortunately, for those of you staying in the Philadelphia area this summer, there were only eight internships listed in Philly, most in the communications field. But if you’re willing to travel, this site has links that will help provide the housing you need. One link, summerexchange.com, boasts that it is, “The first nationwide summer housing listing for students and working professionals.”

Even if you can’t find the internship that will help you land your dream job, this site has so much valuable information and helpful links. In the ‘articles’ section there are sample resumes and cover letters you can use to make your own eye-catching resumes.

Internweb.com also gives advice on handling your internship interview. There’s a section of tough questions interviewers like to ask, so you can practice before the “big day.”

This site also has an online bookstore that sells books on cover letters, resumes, interview techniques and the all-important 2000 Internship Bible.

Grade: A-