WEB WATCH

www.Stuff4Students.com www.collegehumor.com www.colleges.com www.StudentNow.com In search of discount books, dorm furniture, articles on sex, or vulgar photos? All of these can be found at a number of interesting collegiate Web sites. One of the most

www.Stuff4Students.com
www.collegehumor.com
www.colleges.com
www.StudentNow.com

In search of discount books, dorm furniture, articles on sex, or vulgar photos? All of these can be found at a number of interesting collegiate Web sites.

One of the most unique college sites on the Web is stuff4Students.com. In addition to the usual entertainment, sports and fashion features, the site also contains sections like, “Tattoo and Piercing Health Care” and “Sex 101.”

The advice given is very informative and useful. For the student strapped for funds, stuff4students also features printable coupons that can be used in a number of states and cities. Surveys and funny lists such as, “Top 5 Uses for Dining Hall Cheeseburgers” make this site good for a chuckle, as well.

Another college site, www.collegehumor.com, is undeniably addictive. Unlike other college sites, collegehumor practically throws academics to the side. The motto of the site is “Fully dedicated to grinding your academic efforts to a halt.”

Its laid-back, immature humor makes for an enjoyable online experience. The observational humor by Steve Hofstetter and original movies are must-see features of the site. Contests like, “Get naked in the library and photograph it,” provide the opportunity to win unique prizes, such as the new Aaron Carter promotional video. Go figure.

For some the site can be seen as a community where college students can communicate with each other. The newly added message boards make the sharing of college stories and opinions possible. For more conservative Internet users, the site may be viewed as portraying the typical college student as an inebriated, beer-swilling, over-sexed waste of space. It is up to the individual viewer to decide.

Less controversial than collegehumor is colleges.com. Here one can read “U Magazine,” purchase dorm room accessories, furniture and gifts, and even find valuable scholarships. Links to sites with discounts on books are also listed. The site has more of an academic outlook than collegehumor and is useful if seeking discount-shopping opportunities.

Studentnow.com is also worth taking a look at. There is actually so much going on at this site that it may be difficult to navigate. A jumble of information and links makes the site somewhat disorienting.

Getting past this, there are some interesting columns and stories. Even Dr. Ruth has her own “guide to college life” advice column. “Travel” features places like Paris, Louisiana and Thailand, while “hot deals” features autos, software and DVDs. The site is not as humorous as collegehumor or as easy to use as colleges, but is worth a visit.

Being a college student is transient, lasting only 4 years (hopefully); therefore, time is ticking. Visit these college sites to take advantage of the opportunities that lie online for college students everywhere.