WEB WATCH

Featured sites: www.phillyatnight.com www.entertainment.philly.com www.philadelphia.com With only a few months left in the school year, you may find that you have kept yourself entertained on campus all year, and therefore, have been virtually isolated from

Featured sites:
www.phillyatnight.com
www.entertainment.philly.com
www.philadelphia.com

With only a few months left in the school year, you may find that you have kept yourself entertained on campus all year, and therefore, have been virtually isolated from city life.

Or you may have grown tired of the same old Saturday night hangout and are in need of something new and exciting to do. Then look no further. The Internet contains quite a few sites with ideas for keeping busy in the City of Brotherly Love.

www.Phillyatnight.com is the premiere site for nightlife in Philly. As their motto states, it’s “your complete guide to nightlife!” This bright and colorful site features nightclubs, bar/pubs, bands, DJs, and events, as well as shopping and the arts. A simple search by name produces virtually every fun spot in the city.

Phillyatnight.com also allows visitors to check out recent photos of party-goers having a good time at clubs like “Maui” and “Polly Esther’s.” After all, according to the site’s poll the #1 nightlife activity in Philadelphia (as voted by Philadelphians) is clubbing. Simply search for a club or bar by name or area or click on the top picks.

Phone numbers, addresses, and links to the main web sites of bars, like “Fat Tuesday’s,” and clubs, like “Evolution,” can be found.

In addition, reviews of new spots in town will keep visitors up-to-date on all that is new in the city.

While the site’s main focus is on “youthful” entertainment, links to the Philadelphia Art Museum and Philadelphia Orchestra sites bring some “high culture” to phillyatnight.com

www.entertainment.philly.com is more mature in its entertainment listings, and is highly comprehensive. An extensive list of art galleries, exhibits, historic homes, and historical museums can be found right here.

The restaurant reviews are wonderfully detailed and include photographs of featured restaurants. While many of the restaurants are a bit upscale and pricey for most college students’ tastes, the list is quite inclusive.

Many restaurants that could not be found at phillynightlife.com could be found at entertainment.philly.com. The site also features a map and directions to the restaurants. Listings of coffee shops, theater productions and movies provide an
alternative to the usual weekend nights of many college students. For club and bar options, however, your best bet is to stick with phillyatnight.com.

www.Philadelphia.com, meanwhile, provides somewhat of a middle road between phillyatnight.com and entertainment.philly.com. Music, dining, arts, movies and even outdoor activities can be found here.

Philadelphia.com is mostly useful for finding links for more information. Unique aspects include links to the sites of Philly bands, as well as articles on “musical styles and subcultures” in Philadelphia.

Restaurant reviews are contained, as well as listings of restaurants by ethnicity. The only downside to the site is the fact that it relies so strongly on links to other sites. Philadelphia.com will be a snap for those with Ethernet, but for those who rely on a modem, navigating the site may take an eternity. However, in the end Philadelphia.com is worth checking out.

Each of the above sites has a special area of expertise and will provide wonderful ideas for a special date or for an adventure with friends in Philadelphia.