WEB WATCH

jokesoup.com theplayerspage.com dating911.com datingdilemmas.com blinddate.excite.com The fragrant aroma of daffodils and hyacinths isn’t the only thing in the air this spring. Love is in the air, as well. At least, it is online. Beyond the

jokesoup.com
theplayerspage.com
dating911.com
datingdilemmas.com
blinddate.excite.com

The fragrant aroma of daffodils and hyacinths isn’t the only thing in the air this spring. Love is in the air, as well. At least, it is online.

Beyond the know it all psychologists professing their “expertise” on relationships, there are some truly down to earth, appealing and even funny Web sites dealing with the opposite sex, dating and relationships.

The first Web site is not a “dating” site, per se. It’s jokesoup.com. Featured are pick-up lines that may or may not work. Chances are they will not work, but are, nonetheless, good for a laugh. Ladies, have you ever heard these featured lines: “If I could rewrite the alphabet I would put U and I together,” “Let’s do breakfast tomorrow. Should I call you or nudge you?”
These lines will most likely receive the response of a laugh or slap in the face.

It’s advisable for those who are truly serious about dating to visit some other sites.

Dating911.com is one such site. It has many tips on understanding the opposite sex and dating. Here diarists write about personal date experiences.
There is also a Q & A section, as well as weekly columns by “relationship experts.” Reviews of sensual albums and date movies can also be found.

The “Date Planning Guide for Women and Men” provides some helpful advice when preparing for a date; however, much of it is an advertisement for beauty products for women. A must-see part of the site is the “bitter poetry.” The anger felt by some of those scorned makes for an interesting read.

While dating911.com serves as a guide to dating and relationships, theplayerspage.com takes a more “casual” approach to dating. It is the ultimate guide for males who absolutely do not want committed relationships.

While some of the advice may have proven useful to a few males, speaking from the female perspective, the majority of the information contained will not help guys in their relations with girls. It’s good for a laugh, though.

Features such as the “Get Lucky Library” speak for the lack of sophistication of this site.

Datingdilemmas.com is another site that provides a plethora of advice for all dating situations. Readers who have had a similar experience or just an opinion can respond to posted questions. Problems in the past included those of long-distance relationships, insecurity and mixed signals.

One visitor wanted to know how to figure out whether or not she was being used. The topics are endless. The main aspect of this site that makes it so unique is the reader response. The responses are from real people and not a pop-psychologist.

Tired of analyzing your own love life or lack thereof? The more interesting alternative of watching others’ love lives is always an option. The hugely popular show, “Blind Date,” (“pop-up-video” for dating) has its own Web site, blinddate.excite.com. Visitors can find information on the show and take a peek at clips of blind dates dissected.

Go online. Have fun. Learn about the opposite sex, and if all fails, learn a few cheesy pick-up lines as back up. You never know what might work.

kdeniz@astro.temple.edu