Dear freshmen and incoming students, welcome to your new school and city.
We hope you enjoy your stay. For your added convenience, The Temple News staff has compiled a list of things that it thinks you should know. Carry this list everywhere you go and you’ll be ensured success during your stay here. And of course, don’t forget to pick up the paper every Tuesday at news stands near you.
The Temple News
1. Temple’s campus is safer than you’re told – just use common sense on your daily exploits.
2. Don’t get too used to living on campus, that luxury won’t be there a few semesters from now.
3. Going to class is half the battle … the other half is not falling asleep.
4. You’re joining the list of cool Temple alumni. You know that Danny Tanner guy from “Full House,” he went here. So did actor Tom Sizemore, former Miami Heat guard Eddie Jones (now with the Memphis Grizzlies), R&B artists Sister Sledge and Jill Scott, 80s pop phenoms Hall & Oates, NBC News President Steve Capus, and your new city’s Mayor John F. Street.
5. Hired in May, Ann Weaver Hart became Temple’s first female president.
6. You represent the only class that will likely attend Temple Football games … and you won’t even last the whole season.
7. Food at the Johnson and Hardwick cafeteria
may be all you can eat, but portion control is strongly advised … hint: Freshman 15.
8. It’s your freshman year – meet as many people as you can. Try leaving your dorm room door open. Also, work hard, party hard, but remember: Parties at Temple are a dime a dozen, so don’t worry if you miss the first party at McGonigle Hall – you’ll make the one next Friday.
9. Order a meal plan or Diamond Dollars because it’s easier than carrying cash.
10. Take advantage of the culture around you. Visit the museum district, stroll down South Street and ALWAYS capitalize on discounts offered by Student
Activities on concert tickets, Broadway shows, sports games and trips.